Quantcast

3.1 Dashboard problem solved (?), Java admin still a problem

3.1 Dashboard problem solved (?), Java admin still a problem

Espen S. Ore-3
Greetings,

I believe my problems with the dashboard in 3.1 appeared because I
upggraded from 3.0 in a lazy way by making a backup/restore of
everything which then included apps etc. I have now installed a new
clean version of 3.1 and have only installed backups of my own databases
and config files. So far this seems to allow me to use the dashboard.

But the problem with the java-admin remains: if I try to use the one I
can download from the 3.1 dashoboard, it starts, I tell the java system
that it can go ahead and run this app (this is done on a Windows 7
system with Java 1.8.0_92-b14 and it is difficuklt for me to get around
the Univ. of Oslo centralized setup to get a newer version), and then
the app seems to close by itself. No error message, it just quits.

But if I run the Java admin I downloaded from the 3.0 dashoboard when
that was still running and just change the port from 8086 (used by the
3.0-installation) to 8088 (used by the 3.1 installation) in the
URL-field, everything works.

Best wishes,
Espen

--
Espen S. Ore
Phone Norway: +47 913 907 48

Re: 3.1 Dashboard problem solved (?), Java admin still a problem

ron.vandenbranden
Hi Espen,

On 22/03/2017 14:14, [hidden email] wrote:
> But the problem with the java-admin remains: if I try to use the one I
> can download from the 3.1 dashoboard, it starts, I tell the java system
> that it can go ahead and run this app (this is done on a Windows 7
> system with Java 1.8.0_92-b14 and it is difficuklt for me to get around
> the Univ. of Oslo centralized setup to get a newer version), and then
> the app seems to close by itself. No error message, it just quits.

Could it be the case that you're hitting the issue reported at
https://github.com/eXist-db/exist/issues/1146? I've encountered it, too,
and noticed how the Java Admin client for eXist-3.1.0 can only be
started from the quick start menu (when you're running eXist with the
embedded Jetty server). Accessing it via the webstart/exist.jnlp URL
fails, due to an incorrect reference in the generated exist.jnlp file to
a JAR file that had been renamed. Since the issue seems to be fixed in
the recent development code, I guess it will soon find its way in a new
release.

> But if I run the Java admin I downloaded from the 3.0 dashoboard when
> that was still running and just change the port from 8086 (used by the
> 3.0-installation) to 8088 (used by the 3.1 installation) in the
> URL-field, everything works.

That's probably because that exist.jnlp file still finds the JAR file at
its old location?

Best,

Ron

Re: 3.1 Dashboard problem solved (?), Java admin still a problem

Espen S. Ore-3
It probably is. But I can you tell me how I can start it? I mean, what
is the "quick start menu"? I have tried to start the client (client.sh)
on the server, but there is only a window flashing open and then closing
again. This is a RHEL6 machine where I can only start things from the
command-line although I can start some X11 things like gedit.

Espen

--
Espen S. Ore
Phone Norway: +47 913 907 48
Phone Greece: +30 695 555 0615

Re: 3.1 Dashboard problem solved (?), Java admin still a problem

ron.vandenbranden
Hi Espen,

Sorry, the pointer in my previous email was utterly wrong; here is the
correct one: https://github.com/eXist-db/exist/pull/1350.

That "quick start menu" is the toolbar usually at the bottom of your
computer screen, where the eXist logo appears when started with
start.jar. I guess that will only be available on a GUI OS.

For a quick resolution, I'm afraid you'll have to either wait for the
next release, update to the latest development version, or change the
reference in src/org/exist/webstart/JnlpJarFiles.java from "pkg-repo" to
"pkg-java-fork" (see
https://github.com/eXist-db/exist/pull/1350/commits/0b6693442027e0790e19de830ea0a758cdd0439e)
yourself, and rebuild eXist.

Hope this helps,

Ron

On 22 Mar 2017, at 14:14 , Espen S. Ore <[hidden email]> wrote:

But the problem with the java-admin remains: if I try to use the one I
can download from the 3.1 dashoboard, it starts, I tell the java system
that it can go ahead and run this app

I am not completely sure what you mean, but we had an issue where the java client could not be started via the  webstart route (the java icon in the dashboard). This issue was found in 3.1.0 and has been fixed in 3.1.1 (released today)

greets