[ANN] Release of eXist 3.2.0

Adam Retter
We are happy to announce the release of eXist-db v3.2.0. This is a minor release, which introduces a few small features and addresses a number of issues.

New Features
  • Added an IPRange Security Realm, to authorize users by IP address only. (Disabled by default)
  • Added --forking and --pidfile options to startup scripts
  • Added configuration options to $EXIST_HOME/webapp/WEB-INF/web.xml to disable XQuery and XUpdate execution via submission to the RESTServer.
  • Added the XPath 3.1 function fn:load-xquery-module
  • Added the XQuery function xmldb:find-last-modified-until

Performance Improvements
  • Small improvements to lock mode use; resulting in more shared locks
  • Optimised DefaultDocumentSet#contains and DefaultDocumentSet#equals for DefaultDocumentSet comparisons

Critical Bug Fixes
  • Fixed the following-sibling axis so that it also correctly works with names. e.g. $items//b/following-sibling::a
  • DataBackup scheduled tasks now includes all .dbx files and indexes
  • Fixed missing transaction commit in EmbeddedUpload
  • Several locking fixes, including lock acquire/release leaks

Bug Fixes
  • Fixed Lucene match highlighting of ignored nodes; when the ignored node had the same name as the indexed node.
  • Fixed the implementation of org.w3c.dom.Node#isSameNode for persistent nodes; enables better compatibility when using database documents with Saxon.
  • Fixed the reported line numbers when there are newlines in string literals or constructors
  • Java Admin Client again correctly handles --parse or -p argument
  • Namespace Constructor in Computed Element Constructor now works correctly
  • Fixes to install and uninstall for the service wrapper (YAJSW) with systemd
  • Fixes to resolving references in the Configurator
  • Re-implement CollectionConfiguration#triggerRegistered; fixing the xquery-versioning-module
  • DefaultDocumentSet#contains no longer always returns true
  • Avoid implicit conversion of unicode x160 as numerical entity   when serializing XML

Clean Up and Refactoring
  • Corrected the function documentation of xmldb:last-modified-since
  • Disabled sequential token generation in the PersistentLoginModule
  • Disabled auto-deployment of EXPath packages when running tests; faster test suite
  • Switched from MBean to MXBeand for improved JMX client support
  • Further legacy code cleanup to Java 8 syntax
  • Upgraded 3rd party libraries:
    • log4j2 2.8.2
    • j8fu 1.4.1
  • Generalised the MacOS package signing targets in the build system
  • ... and many more

Backwards Compatibility
eXist-db v3.2.0 is backwards binary-compatible as far as v3.0, but not with earlier versions. Users upgrading from previous versions should perform a full backup and restore to migrate their data.

Downloading This Version
eXist-db v3.2.0 is available for download from Bintray. Maven artifacts for eXist-db v3.2.0 are available from our mvn-repo. Mac users of the Homebrew package repository will be able to install and upgrade shortly; an announcement will be made on the exist-open mailing list.

Thanks to everyone in the community who reported or contributed to the issues addressed in this release and to the core developers for their hard work researching, testing, and getting the fixes out to the whole community.

Re: [ANN] Release of eXist 3.2.0

Alister Pillow-3
Great work - thank you to all.

On 3 May 2017, at 9:54 am, Adam Retter <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

  • Avoid implicit conversion of unicode x160 as numerical entity &#160; when serializing XML

[...]

Peter Stadler
Thank you very much for all the work and the new release frequency!

… and a quick reminder to update the stable branch so it is up to date with the current release? (I for one follow the stable branch and build from there)

Best
Peter

Peter Stadler
Carl-Maria-von-Weber-Gesamtausgabe
Arbeitsstelle Detmold
Hornsche Str. 39
D-32756 Detmold
Tel. +49 5231 975-676
Fax: +49 5231 975-668
stadler at weber-gesamtausgabe.de
www.weber-gesamtausgabe.de

Re: [ANN] Release of eXist 3.2.0

Adam Retter
Oops. Sorry I forgot about that... I just bought `master` inline with eXist-3.2.0 now. So you should be good to go.

On 3 May 2017 at 02:28, Peter Stadler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>       • ... and many more
>
> Backwards Compatibility
> eXist-db v3.2.0 is backwards binary-compatible as far as v3.0, but not with earlier versions. Users upgrading from previous versions should perform a full backup and restore to migrate their data.
>
> Downloading This Version
> eXist-db v3.2.0 is available for download from Bintray. Maven artifacts for eXist-db v3.2.0 are available from our mvn-repo. Mac users of the Homebrew package repository will be able to install and upgrade shortly; an announcement will be made on the exist-open mailing list.
>
> Thanks to everyone in the community who reported or contributed to the issues addressed in this release and to the core developers for their hard work researching, testing, and getting the fixes out to the whole community.

Tel. <a href="tel:%2B49%205231%20975-676" value="+495231975676">+49 5231 975-676
Fax: <a href="tel:%2B49%205231%20975-668" value="+495231975668">+49 5231 975-668
stadler at weber-gesamtausgabe.de
www.weber-gesamtausgabe.de

Re: [ANN] Release of eXist 3.2.0

Joern Turner-4
thanks!

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 3:23 PM, Adam Retter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>       • ... and many more
>
> Backwards Compatibility
> eXist-db v3.2.0 is backwards binary-compatible as far as v3.0, but not with earlier versions. Users upgrading from previous versions should perform a full backup and restore to migrate their data.
>
> Downloading This Version
> eXist-db v3.2.0 is available for download from Bintray. Maven artifacts for eXist-db v3.2.0 are available from our mvn-repo. Mac users of the Homebrew package repository will be able to install and upgrade shortly; an announcement will be made on the exist-open mailing list.
>
> Thanks to everyone in the community who reported or contributed to the issues addressed in this release and to the core developers for their hard work researching, testing, and getting the fixes out to the whole community.

Tel. <a href="tel:%2B49%205231%20975-676" value="+495231975676" target="_blank">+49 5231 975-676
Fax: <a href="tel:%2B49%205231%20975-668" value="+495231975668" target="_blank">+49 5231 975-668
stadler at weber-gesamtausgabe.de
www.weber-gesamtausgabe.de

Re: [ANN] Release of eXist 3.2.0

Pietro Liuzzo
Great! many thanks!
might I ask what is the quickest way to update exist to the newest release without loosing all settings for security management, indexes, etc.? I am running it on a virtual server with Linux 3.13.0-116-generic amd64.
To update for the previous releases I deleted my old version of exist after downloading my apps as .xar and then reimported all, but in this way I had to reproduce all settings, copy from backup the collection.xconf reset all permissions and reindex all. I am sure I am doing this the long, and probably wrong way...
Thanks a lot again!
all best
Pietro

stadler at weber-gesamtausgabe.de
www.weber-gesamtausgabe.de

Pietro Maria Liuzzo
cel (DE): +49 (0) 176 61 000 606
Skype: pietro.liuzzo (Quingentole)

Re: [ANN] Release of eXist 3.2.0

cobalt
Wow, fantastic, thanks Adam and all of the team very much for the great work!

I was just about to finally take the jump and update my server (3.0.RC1) to the latest version 3.1.1 when I saw this. So I guess I'd better do the update with this one!

Cheers
Urs