[ANN] Versioning Module available again

Adam Retter
The versioning module was removed a couple of years ago. We did this
because it was using GPLv1 code, and this caused licensing problems
when including it in the source base of eXist-db.

The code was "temporarily" moved to
https://bitbucket.org/zwobit/versioning but then sadly forgotten.

I have taken a couple of hours today to clean up that code and make it
compatible with eXist 3.0 and added the ability to produce an EXPath
Package (.xar) file. I have now republished the updated code here:
https://github.com/eXist-db/xquery-versioning-module

I have also made a binary available for you here:
http://static.adamretter.org.uk/xquery-versioning-module-1.0.xar

I am no legal expert, and this is not in any way meant as advice: From
my understanding I think that if you use that GPLv1 code as a module
(i.e. the .xar) which is loaded dynamically at runtime, then you might
not fall foul of the GPLv1 license terms (if that is an issue for
you). However the legality of use is really for you to check.

All the best. Adam.

Re: [ANN] Versioning Module available again

Marcel Schaeben
This is excellent news, thanks!

Best
Marcel

--
Marcel Schaeben
Cologne Center for eHumanities

0221 470-1750
[hidden email]

On 16 Feb 2017, at 18:24, Adam Retter <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I have now also uploaded this to eXist's public package repo, so it
should show up in the Package Manager too.

On 16 February 2017 at 17:24, Adam Retter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The versioning module was removed a couple of years ago. We did this
> because it was using GPLv1 code, and this caused licensing problems
> when including it in the source base of eXist-db.
>
> The code was "temporarily" moved to
> https://bitbucket.org/zwobit/versioning but then sadly forgotten.
>
> I have taken a couple of hours today to clean up that code and make it
> compatible with eXist 3.0 and added the ability to produce an EXPath
> Package (.xar) file. I have now republished the updated code here:
> https://github.com/eXist-db/xquery-versioning-module
>
> I have also made a binary available for you here:
> http://static.adamretter.org.uk/xquery-versioning-module-1.0.xar
>
> I am no legal expert, and this is not in any way meant as advice: From
> my understanding I think that if you use that GPLv1 code as a module
> (i.e. the .xar) which is loaded dynamically at runtime, then you might
> not fall foul of the GPLv1 license terms (if that is an issue for
> you). However the legality of use is really for you to check.
>
> All the best. Adam.
>
> --
> Adam Retter
>
> eXist Developer
> { United Kingdom }
> [hidden email]
> irc://irc.freenode.net/existdb

Re: [ANN] Versioning Module available again

Masoud Vakili
It's great!
Thank you very much.