Backup halts when using eXist Admin Client

Backup halts when using eXist Admin Client

John Preimonas-2
Hi,
When attempting to do a backup using the supplied eXist Java Client (i.e. eXist Admin Client) of a collection, it seems to stop at the 27% mark.
and all that is backed up is:

Is there something missing from the latest version of eXist? I am using Apple OS X Yosemite (version 10.10.3), eXist 2.2.

Cheers,
John

Re: Backup halts when using eXist Admin Client

Ouch.... It hangs on MacOsX specific files. As a work around you can remove these files from the database.

Questions: how did they arrive in the database? WebDAV mount?

--
www.exist-db.org

> On 11 Jun 2015, at 09:36, John Preimonas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> When attempting to do a backup using the supplied eXist Java Client (i.e. eXist Admin Client) of a collection, it seems to stop at the 27% mark.

Re: Backup halts when using eXist Admin Client

Michael Joyce-2
I’ve seen similar behaviour with WebDAV and OS X. The Finder will create the ._.DS_Store files when (for example) changing the way it displays a folder from icons to list. It also creates ._image.jpg and other nonsense.

As for the backup process getting hung, that’s also something I’ve seen before with WebDAV: the WebDAV client will let you store not-well-formed XML, and won’t complain about it at all. Then when doing a backup, it gets stuck on the not-well-formed XML file.

Michael

On Jun 11, 2015, at 1:32 AM, Dannes Wessels <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ouch.... It hangs on MacOsX specific files. As a work around you can remove these files from the database.
>
> Questions: how did they arrive in the database? WebDAV mount?
>
> --
> www.exist-db.org
>
>> On 11 Jun 2015, at 09:36, John Preimonas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> When attempting to do a backup using the supplied eXist Java Client (i.e. eXist Admin Client) of a collection, it seems to stop at the 27% mark.

Re: Backup halts when using eXist Admin Client

Dannes Wessels-3

> On 11 Jun 2015, at 18:55, Michael Joyce <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’ve seen similar behaviour with WebDAV and OS X. The Finder will create the ._.DS_Store files when (for example) changing the way it displays a folder from icons to list. It also creates ._image.jpg and other nonsense.

Yes i know the purpose. I realize that i switch-off this behavior for my Mac a long time ago, hence i haven't seen it myself anymore.

> As for the backup process getting hung, that’s also something I’ve seen before with WebDAV: the WebDAV client will let you store not-well-formed XML, and won’t complain about it at all. Then when doing a backup, it gets stuck on the not-well-formed XML file.

Somehow i don't understand the scenario you describe, can you provide a step-by-step description to reproduce? It really should mot happen.....

Anyway, webdav is a horrible protocol to support. So many clients, so many undocumented small differences. Myself, I stopped using the finder a long time ago because of all kind of strange effects, which change almost for every osx release. Or with a patch. (Using transmit now)

Unfortunately upgrading 'milton' (the used webdav implementation) is not an option. The community edition does not support LOCKing, making many webdav clients worthless to use.....

Cheers

Milton WebDAV

Alister Pillow-3
Hi Dannes,
When you say that upgrading is not an option - is that a license limitation or technical?

Is it possible for me to replace the Community edition with the Commercial license version on my server? Or does that require significant modification to eXist source?

I have tried to minimise the use of WebDAV, but still need to offer editable documents stored in the DB (in particular Word, ODT and ODS). The problem for me is not the LOCK but the UNLOCK - I don’t think there’s any way for the server to know that a file has been closed.

The alternatives to WebDAV are:
- download / upload
- a custom application that manages download/upload
- ? any other suggestions?

Regards,
Alister.

On 12 Jun 2015, at 4:14 am, Dannes Wessels <[hidden email]> wrote:

Unfortunately upgrading 'milton' (the used webdav implementation) is not an option. The community edition does not support LOCKing, making many webdav clients worthless to use.....

Re: Milton WebDAV

We did not switch to the Milton 2.x version due to licensing restrictions. The version we need to use is either commercial or GPL and thus not usable for us.

I have been in contact with the author, but did not give this any prio. As I said, WebDAV is giving headaches, prefer to spend my time on other stuff. Well, if the reimplementation is sponsored, I would consider it....

Cheers

www.exist-db.org

> On 12 Jun 2015, at 01:50, Alister Pillow <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> When you say that upgrading is not an option - is that a license limitation or technical?

Re: Milton WebDAV

Adam Retter
The WebDAV extension could be moved into a separate repo and that code
also be made GPL. You could then compile this to a Jar, or even
download this at compile with Ivy for when you want to use it with
eXist. In this manner eXist source code can still remain LGPL, and
WebDAV can just be GPL, it has an impact for the users of eXist. i.e.
if they are using it as part of their commercial product, they might
need to stay away from the WebDAV module because it is now GPL. Well
we could also keep the existing LGPL module for those cases.