Document versioning (module, possibilities)

Document versioning (module, possibilities)

Welblaud
Hi all,

I’d like to know what is the current state of document versioning in the new 3.0 version.

From the official documentation it seems it is still possible to trigger versioning but there is actually no simple way to check and manage document versions.

In the official docs, I have also seen the XQuery functions for dealing with revisions but I guess it is not what I could use.

Greetings from Prague,

Honza Hejzl

Re: Document versioning (module, possibilities)

Dmitriy Shabanov
Hi,

What use case you are trying to cover?

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 1:06 PM, Welblaud <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I’d like to know what is the current state of document versioning in the new
3.0 version.

>From the official documentation it seems it is still possible to trigger
versioning but there is actually no simple way to check and manage document
versions.

In the official docs, I have also seen the XQuery functions for dealing with
revisions but I guess it is not what I could use.

Greetings from Prague,

Honza Hejzl

Dmitriy Shabanov

Re: Document versioning (module, possibilities)

Welblaud
This post was updated on .
Hi,

I have seen your presentation during XML Prague and I was pretty sure it has something to do with that :)

It is quite simple – it would be great to have something similar as http://exist-db.org/exist/apps/doc/versioning.xml#D2.2.5. It seems this is still removed in spite of the fact versioning still works under the hood. Is there some easy way to deal, check and manage document versions?

My app is a tool for single source publishing, the main portion of manuscripts will be accessed and edited via WebDAV from oXygen Author, time by time via eXide.

Best, Honza Hejzl

Re: Document versioning (module, possibilities)

RoyMacLean
I have a similar need for the versioning extension.

The Release Notes for 3.0 say:
"Removed the Versioning extension; will be made available as a separate app package"

Any updates on when/how this will be available?

Thanks
Roy MacLean

Re: Document versioning (module, possibilities)

The versioning module was removed a couple of years ago. We did this
because it was using GPLv1 code, and this caused licensing problems
when including it in the source base of eXist-db.

The code was "temporarily" moved to
https://bitbucket.org/zwobit/versioning but then sadly forgotten.

I have taken a couple of hours today to clean up that code and make it
compatible with eXist 3.0 and added the ability to produce an EXPath
Package (.xar) file. I have now republished the updated code here:
https://github.com/eXist-db/xquery-versioning-module

I have also made a binary available for you here:
http://static.adamretter.org.uk/xquery-versioning-module-1.0.xar

I am no legal expert, and this is not in any way meant as advice: From
my understanding I think that if you use that GPLv1 code as a module
(i.e. the .xar) which is loaded dynamically at runtime, then you might
not fall foul of the GPLv1 license terms (if that is an issue for
you). However the legality of use is really for you to check.

All the best. Adam.