Feature request: journal-dir relative to exist.home

Feature request: journal-dir relative to exist.home

Peter Gardfjäll

Hello Wolfgang and others,

from what I understand, the "journal-dir" property of the eXist
configuration is specified relative to the current working directory,
whereas most other file paths (such as the database and catalog file
paths) are specified relative to the exist home directory.

For consistent handling of configuration file paths it would be nice to
have the journal-dir path specified relative to exist.home. Is that
doable?

cheers, Peter

Re: Feature request: journal-dir relative to exist.home

Michael Beddow-2
Peter Gardfjäll wrote:

> from what I understand, the "journal-dir" property of the eXist
> configuration is specified relative to the current working directory,
> whereas most other file paths (such as the database and catalog file
> paths) are specified relative to the exist home directory.
>
> For consistent handling of configuration file paths it would be nice to
> have the journal-dir path specified relative to exist.home. Is that
> doable?

A word of caution here. At the moment, that path can be system-absolute, and
I think it's important to keep it that way. In general: because I'd argue
that a journal belongs in a different filesystem (maybe on a physically
different machine) from the data it's journalling. And in particular:
because on current builds at least, the journal grows to massive proportions
(way beyond the configured limits) if a large collection is deleted in a
single operation. I have regularly seen the journal logfile exceed 6
Gigabytes (I write that in full in case anyone thinks its a typo).  This
caused me much grief until I moved it into its own 10G partition....

Michael Beddow

Re: Re: Feature request: journal-dir relative to exist.home

Peter Gardfjäll

That is a good point Michael, however I believe both behaviors could (and
should) be supported. An absolute path needs no further processing
whereas a relative path should be evaluated starting at exist.home.
I believe this is exactly the way that other file paths are evaluated in
the exist configuration.

regards, Peter