Install without X?

Thomas Zastrow
Hello,

how can I install eXist on a Linux-machine with no X-Server? I've got
just SSH to the machine ...

Thanks an greetings,

Tom

Re: Install without X?

Jean-Marc Vanel-3
Thomas Zastrow wrote:

> Hello,
>
> how can I install eXist on a Linux-machine with no X-Server? I've got
> just SSH to the machine ...

The question has allready been asked .

Choices:
- download the ssh version;
- use the installer version on another machine, then transfer the
installation dir., zipped ;
- connect on your Linux-machine with no X-Server from a machine with
X-Server , using ssh -X

--
Jean-Marc Vanel 01 39 43 31 46
Conseil et Services / développement & intégration logiciels

Mes journaux:
- sujets généraux en Français: http://jmvanel.free.fr/Block-note.html
- sujets informatiques en Français: http://jmvanel.free.fr/notes-informatiques.html
- computer science diary : http://jmvanel.free.fr/computer-notes.html

Worldwide Botanical Knowledge Base
http://wwbota.free.fr/
test XML query engine: http://jmvanel.free.fr/protea.html

Re: Install without X?

Michael Beddow-2
> how can I install eXist on a Linux-machine with no X-Server? I've got
> just SSH to the machine ...

I remember moaning a year or so back when the distribution format changed
from a bog-standard zip to an installer jar that insisted on finding an X
display and refused to run in the absence of one, because I too don't deploy
X on servers. The short-term fix, which has stayed my permanent practice,
was to pull the cvs and build that. The extra wrappers and semi-automatic
configuration you get with the installer packages are nice to have, but they
aren't essential. Some time later, it was announced that the dependency on X
had been removed, but I still couldn't get the "official" install to work,
because there turned out to be other dependencies which my various
environments didn't satisfy, and life is too short to struggle with doing
things the right way when the wrong way works just fine.

So I suggest you follow my bad example and do
cvs -d:pserver:[hidden email]:/cvsroot/exist login
(just press Enter/return when prompted for a password)
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:[hidden email]:/cvsroot/exist co
eXist-1.0

Assuming you have the required permissions, put the resulting tree under
/usr/local (so you don't have to mess with location configurations), chmod
+x the *sh scripts in the eXist-1.0 root and its bin subdirectory, check
that you have JAVA_HOME set appropriately (and if you don't, open up
exist/build.sh in an editor and export a suitable path at the top of it)
then execute exist/build.sh. As usual, don't worry about warnings, of which
there will be quite a lot. You won't get any errors unless you are such an
unlucky person that you'd be better off avoiding computers altogether. If
necessary, you can build a war via build.sh dist-war (you will have to edit
some config files as well, but if you are into war deployment you'll quickly
see what to do, and there's info on the Wiki). Once your build is complete,
exist/bin/startup.sh & will fork you the full works with Cocoon,
exist/bin/server.sh & will start the so called "stand alone" server with
REST, WebDav and XMLRPC, but no Cocoon or Soap, or /bin/client.sh -s -l will
start you a command line client to a local embedded database instance.
Don't forget the -s switch, otherwise the client will go GUI hunting. You
won't get the wrapper scripts for automated startup auto-configured for you,
but fixing that manually isn't too hard.

Before long, someone will probably post the Right Way to Do It, but I hope
I've at least given you something to be getting on with over the weekend....

Michael Beddow

Re: Install without X?

Hi Thomas,

try to call the installer with parameter

-p path-to-your-install-directory

This should start a default install into the specified directory. I'm
not sure if it works everywhere (I didn't test it on a real headless
machine), but I would be interested to hear what results you get. As
Michael has already mentioned, there might be some additional
dependencies on X.

Re: Install without X?

Thomas Zastrow
Wolfgang Meier wrote:

>Hi Thomas,
>
>try to call the installer with parameter
>
>-p path-to-your-install-directory
>
>This should start a default install into the specified directory. I'm
>not sure if it works everywhere (I didn't test it on a real headless
>machine), but I would be interested to hear what results you get. As
>Michael has already mentioned, there might be some additional
>dependencies on X.

At first, thanx to Jean-Marc, Michael and Wolfgang :-)

I tried the "simple" way (as Wolgang wrote above), using the installer
and eXist seems to work fine: Starting bin/server.sh, it prompts as last
(there are a lot messages before):

Server launched ...
Installed services:
REST servlet:   localhost:8088
WebDAV:         localhost:8088/webdav
XMLRPC:         localhost:8088/xmlrpc

So, I think, the server is running. But when i Try to connect from my
local machine with the client, using "remote" and the URL:

xmldb:exist://my.machine.de:8088/exist/xmlrpc

the server returns an 400-error. On the server this error:

[SocketListener0-4] DEBUG (NativeBroker.java [openDocument]:650) -
collection /db/exist not found!

Any hint for me???

Thanks a lot!!!

Greetings,

Tom

Re: Install without X?

wolfgangmm
> So, I think, the server is running. But when i Try to connect from my
> local machine with the client, using "remote" and the URL:
>
> xmldb:exist://my.machine.de:8088/exist/xmlrpc
>
> the server returns an 400-error. On the server this error:
>
> [SocketListener0-4] DEBUG (NativeBroker.java [openDocument]:650) -
> collection /db/exist not found!

Ok, you are now using the server in bare mode, i.e. you have just the
three services listed in the server's startup message, no complex
webapp setup, no cocoon etc. You thus need to change your URL
accordingly:

xmldb:exist://my.machine.de:8088/xmlrpc

Re: Install without X?

Michael Beddow-2

> xmldb:exist://my.machine.de:8088/exist/xmlrpc

xmldb:exist://my.machine.de:8088/xmlrpc

But I see Wolfgang fielded this already.

While we're on the subject, it might be an idea to update the urls in
client.properties to reflect the correct version for "standalone" use. At
the moment, they are still the ones used for the old "standalone" mode,
hence they offer a misleading model to anyone who looks there for guidance
(and of course if the old pattern is uncommented in an attempt to alter the
default startup mode of the client, then things won't work). Similar changes
are needed in backup.properties in the distributions.

Michael Beddow

Re: Install without X?

Michael Beddow-2

> I agree: As I saw, the standard-port is now 8088 and not longer 8080 :-)

Actually, the 8080 settings are still valid when eXist is running with
Cocoon. It's the "standalone" services that have changed ports and (in the
case of xmlrpc) paths. This affects the shutdown script for standalone mode
as well as the properties files I already mentioned.

Michael Beddow