Is it possible to deploy a spring application in jetty of exist-db?

Is it possible to deploy a spring application in jetty of exist-db?

Lin Ni
Hello,

now i have two projects. One is exist-db project and the other is spring
project.

I am running spring project on tomcat. Since exist-db uses Jetty as
servlet container, I am looking for a way to run my spring project in
Jetty of exist-db.

I want to ask a question. Is it possible to deploy a spring application
in jetty of exist-db?

I know Jetty can auto deploy the .war. But exist-db has URLRewrite
module. I cannot access my spring project correctly.

I haven't found any documetation for this.

If it is possible, could you tell me how to configure it?

Any help from you would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Lin

Re: Is it possible to deploy a spring application in jetty of exist-db?

nsincaglia
I would also like to know the answer to this question. I do not have a Spring application but I have become interested in using the Vaadin Framework (https://vaadin.com/framework) in conjunction with eXist-db and was curious how these two might be able to be deployed using the same Jetty. Is there anyone who might be able to suggest a resource that would help us understand how something like this could be configured?

Best,

Nick

Re: Is it possible to deploy a spring application in jetty of exist-db?

Wolfgang Meier-2
Well, you can place any .war into EXIST_HOME/tools/jetty/webapps and it will be deployed as a normal web app with a separate context (next to /exist).

Wolfgang

On 1 Feb 2017, at 17:56 , nsincaglia <[hidden email]> wrote:

I would also like to know the answer to this question. I do not have a Spring
application but I have become interested in using the Vaadin Framework
(https://vaadin.com/framework) in conjunction with eXist-db and was curious
how these two might be able to be deployed using the same Jetty. Is there
anyone who might be able to suggest a resource that would help us understand
how something like this could be configured?

as Wolfgang pointed out, it is possible to drop war files in the webapps directory. Please note..

- that you might encounter classloader conflicts with JARs provided by eXist-db
- all applications share the same java memory-space ;

the latter is dangerous for a database; exist-db should not share memory. If you decide to do anyway, please don’t report issues to the community when having issues because of out-of-memory exceptions :-)

regards

Re: Is it possible to deploy a spring application in jetty of exist-db?

nsincaglia
Dannes,
Thank you for pointing out the short comings of doing this. The Java memory-space was not immediately obvious to me.

Let me ask a follow up question to you then. Is there are deployment approach you would recommend under the described circumstances?

Nick

On Feb 1, 2017, at 3:49 PM, Dannes Wessels <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

[...]

From a maintenance and configuration perspective I'd recommend to split servers over several hosts, e.g. with a virtualization solution. Only this way it is guaranteed that one piece of software is claiming resources [memory, cpu, io] from an other one.  I can't suggest a product, but Docker is commonly used (though: this runs multiple servers on one server, isolated though)

A host split makes diagnostics probably  more easy too,  as you can monitor inter-host communication.

In general: a database like eXist-db should not share critical resources like memory and disk space with other servers.

regards

eXist-db Native XML Database - http://exist-db.org
Join us on linked-in: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=35624

Re: Is it possible to deploy a spring application in jetty of exist-db?

Lin Ni

Hi,

thank you for all your advises.

I will make them on two different hosts.

Best,

Lin

Am 03.02.2017 um 11:21 schrieb Adam Retter:
Docker is not a good choice for databases.

On 3 Feb 2017 5:09 p.m., "Dannes Wessels" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Thank you for pointing out the short comings of doing this. The Java memory-space was not immediately obvious to me.

Let me ask a follow up question to you then. Is there are deployment approach you would recommend under the described circumstances?

From a maintenance and configuration perspective I'd recommend to split servers over several hosts, e.g. with a virtualization solution. Only this way it is guaranteed that one piece of software is claiming resources [memory, cpu, io] from an other one.  I can't suggest a product, but Docker is commonly used (though: this runs multiple servers on one server, isolated though)