Java Admin Client & User Manager problem in 3.1.0

Java Admin Client & User Manager problem in 3.1.0

Welblaud
Hi all,

Today I tried to install the new stable version for testing and I have two problems with it.
  1. When I open the User Manager from Dashboard, there are no users or groups at all, only “We are sorry, there is an error” instead of lines of the table. I even can’t check users and groups because of the next item on the list:
  2. It is not possible to start Java Admin Client. I tried to clean the Java cache and everything seems well until the last confirmation I really want to open the client despite the security risk (security settings work well on my machine, I can open JAC from older installations properly [3.0RC1, 3.0 stable]). It simply does not start. And of course, I added the new location to the Java security exceptions. When I check Java temporary files (apps) stored on my machine, it seems the JAC version downloaded from the new eXist version is a bit bigger then the older JAC versions (8.078 KB vs 12.763KB).

Any help more than welcome!

Regards, Honza Hejzl

Re: Java Admin Client & User Manager problem in 3.1.0

we need more information, please be as complete as possible;

- which operating system
- wich java version
- which browser + version
- how do you attempt to start the java client? via webstart? Please state.

you are correct, the clients has become larger because libraries have been added.

regards

Dannes

On 10 Mar 2017, at 13:55 , Honza Hejzl <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Dannes Wessels-3
I fear we need a fix: https://github.com/eXist-db/exist/pull/1350

On 11 Mar 2017, at 16:21 , Dannes Wessels <[hidden email]> wrote:

Any help more than welcome!

Re: Java Admin Client & User Manager problem in 3.1.0

Welblaud
Hi Dannes,

Thanks for confirming the first problem. As for the second one (User Manager problem), it happens in the same way on:

1) Win 7, Firefox 51.0.1 (32bit), IE 11, Java should be the same as on the second machine below.
2) Linux Mint 17 (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS), Firefox 51.0.1 (64bit), Java 1.8.0_121.

It is not possible to view user and group tables, it is no possible to create users or groups (the window opens but group menus are empty and it is not possible to create the user with confirming the action).

Regards, Honza

[...]

Thanks, I tried to turn off AdBlock, no progress. The window itself is opened properly but it seems there are no users.

Honza

do you have any content blockers running in the browser? Javascript, ads, whatever. ?

On 12 Mar 2017, at 13:48 , Honza Hejzl <[hidden email]> wrote:

 As for the second one (User Manager problem), it happens in the same way on:

1) Win 7, Firefox 51.0.1 (32bit), IE 11, Java should be the same as on the second machine below.
2) Linux Mint 17 (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS), Firefox 51.0.1 (64bit), Java 1.8.0_121.

It is not possible to view user and group tables, it is no possible to create users or groups (the window opens but group menus are empty and it is not possible to create the user with confirming the action).

Re: Java Admin Client & User Manager problem in 3.1.0

Welblaud
Hi Dannes,

I have just noticed the problem with User Manager was the same with 3.0 version with one exception—there it fails completely (no tables) only in Firefox, in IE 11 it works half the way. There I can add users and groups but it is not possible to add users to groups.

Honza

do you have any content blockers running in the browser? Javascript, ads, whatever. ?

On 12 Mar 2017, at 13:48 , Honza Hejzl <[hidden email]> wrote:

 As for the second one (User Manager problem), it happens in the same way on:

1) Win 7, Firefox 51.0.1 (32bit), IE 11, Java should be the same as on the second machine below.
2) Linux Mint 17 (Ubuntu 14.04 LTS), Firefox 51.0.1 (64bit), Java 1.8.0_121.

It is not possible to view user and group tables, it is no possible to create users or groups (the window opens but group menus are empty and it is not possible to create the user with confirming the action).

Re: Java Admin Client & User Manager problem in 3.1.0

Dannes Wessels-3
Sorry,

On 15 Mar 2017, at 17:15 , Honza Hejzl <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have just noticed the problem with User Manager was the same with 3.0 version with one exception—there it fails completely (no tables) only in Firefox, in IE 11 it works half the way. There I can add users and groups but it is not possible to add users to groups.

I can’t reproduce: running from exist-db from the DMG, Firefox 52.0, Safari 10.0.3;

The only thing I could think of is: please empty the caches of the browsers. If that not help…. what did you install on your PC as virusscanner, personal firewall, internet security software etc etc? But on this track I cant give you any help, sorry.

cheers

Re: Java Admin Client & User Manager problem in 3.1.0

Joern Turner-4
Honza,

we know that user manager in dashboard is not very reliable. It has some quirks that are hard to reproduce and occur in unregular patterns. However the plan is to completely rewrite dashboard, package manager and user manager from scratch. I've nearly completed package manager, dashboard will be easy and user manager is in the works. Depending on how much time i can spend beyond my project work i hope it will become part of 3.2 or probably 3.3 but i aiming at 3.2 for the moment.

Btw, i have similar problems running admin client from the dmg starter menu. Running it frorm the terminal (via client.sh) however works always for me.

Joern

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 10:18 PM, Dannes Wessels <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sorry,

On 15 Mar 2017, at 17:15 , Honza Hejzl <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have just noticed the problem with User Manager was the same with 3.0 version with one exception—there it fails completely (no tables) only in Firefox, in IE 11 it works half the way. There I can add users and groups but it is not possible to add users to groups.

I can’t reproduce: running from exist-db from the DMG, Firefox 52.0, Safari 10.0.3;

The only thing I could think of is: please empty the caches of the browsers. If that not help…. what did you install on your PC as virusscanner, personal firewall, internet security software etc etc? But on this track I cant give you any help, sorry.

cheers

Re: Java Admin Client & User Manager problem in 3.1.0

Welblaud
Hi Joern,

Thanks for the information! I will wait for the next version. The hint about using command line sounds great. However, I run eXist strictly on a distant virtual machine. It seems I have to stay on 3.0 for a while.

Regards, Honza

[...]

aik01
not yet mentioned by the gurus?
the well known and reproducible problem with dashboard, user and
collection browser which resembles the described symptoms goes with
the persistent login (the login check box 'remember me').
dashboard issue #44 may be the one

peter

Quoting Honza Hejzl <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Joern,
>
> Thanks for the information! I will wait for the next version. The hint
> about using command line sounds great. However, I run eXist strictly on a
> distant virtual machine. It seems I have to stay on 3.0 for a while.
>
> Regards, Honza

>> Honza,
>>
>> we know that user manager in dashboard is not very reliable. It has some
>> quirks that are hard to reproduce and occur in unregular patterns. However
>> the plan is to completely rewrite dashboard, package manager and user
>> manager from scratch. I've nearly completed package manager, dashboard will
>> be easy and user manager is in the works. Depending on how much time i can
>> spend beyond my project work i hope it will become part of 3.2 or probably
>> 3.3 but i aiming at 3.2 for the moment.
>>
>> Btw, i have similar problems running admin client from the dmg starter
>> menu. Running it frorm the terminal (via client.sh) however works always
>> for me.
>>
>> Joern
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 10:18 PM, Dannes Wessels <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry,
>>>

>>> On 15 Mar 2017, at 17:15 , Honza Hejzl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have just noticed the problem with User Manager was the same with 3.0
>>> version with one exception—there it fails completely (no tables) only in
>>> Firefox, in IE 11 it works half the way. There I can add users and groups
>>> but it is not possible to add users to groups.
>>>

>>> I can’t reproduce: running from exist-db from the DMG, Firefox 52.0,
>>> Safari 10.0.3;
>>>
>>> The only thing I could think of is: please empty the caches of the
>>> browsers. If that not help…. what did you install on your PC as
>>> virusscanner, personal firewall, internet security software etc etc? But on
>>> this track I cant give you any help, sorry.
>>>
>>> cheers
>>>

>>> Dannes

Re: Java Admin Client & User Manager problem in 3.1.0

Jonathan Rowell

Hi Joern,

just as a matter of interest, will there still be a URL to load and unload a package? I have implemented a grunt plugin to do these functions, haven't got them completed because after loading I check that everything is in place, compiles OK and so on, and eXist leaves files open so I can't unload.

regards

Jonathan

Re: Java Admin Client & User Manager problem in 3.1.0

Willem

Hi Dannes,

I have seen that where the context has been changed from /exist to somthing else such as /exist1 for instance. Changing the context back to /exist brings it back.

Willem

wavdwesthuizen.vcf (216 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Java Admin Client & User Manager problem in 3.1.0

Joern Turner-4
Jonathan,

i'm trying to change as little as possible on the backend side so i guess that means yes ;) The main goal of the rewrite (at least for the first version) is to remove our dependency on Dojo on the client.

Joern

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 1:52 PM, Jonathan Rowell <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Joern,

just as a matter of interest, will there still be a URL to load and unload a package? I have implemented a grunt plugin to do these functions, haven't got them completed because after loading I check that everything is in place, compiles OK and so on, and eXist leaves files open so I can't unload.

regards

Jonathan

Re: Java Admin Client & User Manager problem in 3.1.0

Alister Pillow-3
Hi Joern,
Will you be working on the Persistent Login Cookie problem for the Dashboard?
This affects the UserManager, the Scheduler and the Collections browser.

I’ve been reviewing this today and can provide more details if it would help.

Regards,
Alister

On 16 Mar 2017, at 7:15 pm, Joern Turner <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Marvellous! Then my package-loader/unloader/checker for eXist and Grunt should still work OK. For the 3.2.0 (or whatever the next release is) two of my three oustanding problems have been solved. Then I can update GitHub and make a first release.

I have one question/problem/query regarding the package system - which incidentally is super - I create packages with a Grunt build - and that is regarding global modules.

These must be in a directory/collection called "content" and the file name then must appear in expath-pkg.xml together with the namespace. Currently I extract the namespace from the module statement in the .xqm file with a bit of Javascript and copy the file into the content directory/collection. I was wondering whether an "absolute" path was possible, eg: /collection/module.xqm, that is relative to the application base, since this would save on the copying and thus make the package smaller?

regards

Jonathan

Re: Java Admin Client & User Manager problem in 3.1.0

Joern Turner-4
Alister,

it's not me (though i'm involved) but it is worked on and actually there's a PR already that just awaits acceptance.

Joern

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 11:32 AM, Alister Pillow <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Honza,

For dashboard problems, could you open an issue on the Dashboard repo
here - https://github.com/exist-db/dashboard/issues
The more exact details about version and how to reproduce will help us
quickly resolve it.

> However, I run eXist strictly on a distant
> virtual machine. It seems I have to stay on 3.0 for a while.

If you did want to upgrade and wanted to do user management, you can
always do it via XQuery. The sm (SecurityManager) module provides all
the functions you will need.

Re: Java Admin Client & User Manager problem in 3.1.0

Welblaud
I can confirm unticking Remember Me checkbox works, without it User Manager works (as it seems for now). Ok, I will open the issue.

H.