Localize app title?

Tony Graham
Is there a way to localize the app title that appears in the eXist-db
dashboard?

I have found the i18n demo, so I will be using its techniques for the
app itself [1], but I'm left wondering how to get a Japanese title in
the dashboard of a Japanese user.

The EXPath Packaging System spec [2] allows only one <title>, and that
<title> can contain only a string, so there doesn't appear to be a way
to, e.g., have multiple titles and selecting them by 'xml:lang' value.

Regards,

Tony Graham.
--
Senior Architect
XML Division

[1] Although my first thought was to wonder why eXist-db didn't use the
XML form of Java property files as its catalogue files so that it's
easier to use computer-aided translation (CAT) systems that already
understand Java property files.
[2] http://expath.org/spec/pkg

Re: Localize app title?

Joe Wicentowski
Tony,

That's not currently possible, but it's a great idea.

To rig such a thing up, we'd have to either revise the EXpath Package
spec (probably the best way) or create an eXist-specific way to store
localized titles in, say, repo.xml.  Then the dashboard's package
manager and public-repo would need to be updated to read this.

A short term alternative might be to create two separate packages.

Joe

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 9:45 AM, Tony Graham <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there a way to localize the app title that appears in the eXist-db
> dashboard?
>
> I have found the i18n demo, so I will be using its techniques for the
> app itself [1], but I'm left wondering how to get a Japanese title in
> the dashboard of a Japanese user.
>
> The EXPath Packaging System spec [2] allows only one <title>, and that
> <title> can contain only a string, so there doesn't appear to be a way
> to, e.g., have multiple titles and selecting them by 'xml:lang' value.
>
> Regards,
>

> Tony Graham.
> --
> Senior Architect
> XML Division
> Antenna House, Inc.
> ----
> Skerries, Ireland
> [hidden email]
>
> [1] Although my first thought was to wonder why eXist-db didn't use the
> XML form of Java property files as its catalogue files so that it's
> easier to use computer-aided translation (CAT) systems that already
> understand Java property files.
> [2] http://expath.org/spec/pkg

Re: Localize app title?

Tony Graham
On 01/03/2017 15:14, Joe Wicentowski wrote:
> That's not currently possible, but it's a great idea.

GitHub issue now at https://github.com/eXist-db/exist/issues/1306

Regards,

Tony Graham.
--