Quantcast

Mac users: eXist-db available via homebrew cask

Mac users: eXist-db available via homebrew cask

I just noticed that eXist has a formula on Homebrew, the popular Mac
package installer.  As is typical, the formula for eXist installs the
current stable version, so you'll get 2.2, rather than the 3.0 release
candidate.  But if you need 2.2, you can just type this to install it:

  brew cask install exist-db

The formula this runs is here:

  https://github.com/caskroom/homebrew-cask/blob/master/Casks/exist-db.rb

Looking forward to submitting a PR to update this to 3.0 when it's released.

Re: Mac users: eXist-db available via homebrew cask

Wolfgang Meier-2
Hi Joe,

I'd like to make the latest eXist 3.0 release candidate available via homebrew cask.  Should I link to RC1?  I notice that there is a 3.0RC2 available via https://bintray.com/existdb/releases/exist, dated August 3, 2016.  If that version is better, I'll link to that one instead.

This was a build for testing, but a lot has happened since. I would thus link to RC1 for now. An RC3 (or even final maybe) should follow within the next days.

Re: Mac users: eXist-db available via homebrew cask

Alister Pillow-3
Good news on both fronts!

Sent from my iPad

On 25 Dec 2016, at 6:00 am, Wolfgang Meier <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Joe,

I'd like to make the latest eXist 3.0 release candidate available via homebrew cask.  Should I link to RC1?  I notice that there is a 3.0RC2 available via https://bintray.com/existdb/releases/exist, dated August 3, 2016.  If that version is better, I'll link to that one instead.

This was a build for testing, but a lot has happened since. I would thus link to RC1 for now. An RC3 (or even final maybe) should follow within the next days.

Re: Mac users: eXist-db available via homebrew cask

Many thanks for your reply, Wolfgang, and happy holidays to all.

Here's an update on my project to bring a fuller selection of eXist builds to Mac users via Homebrew, a popular package management system.  The idea is to allow Mac users who've already set up their system with Homebrew to install eXist with a single terminal command.  Homebrew complements the other methods of getting eXist: downloading eXist binaries from exist-db.org and running the installer, and compiling eXist from source on GitHub.

After consulting with the Homebrew Cask project maintainers on how to approach this task [1], I submitted my work to the Homebrew Cask Versions project [2] with two new "casks" (download and installation recipes) for eXist:

  - "exist-db3": The latest release candidate for 3.0 (currently 3.0RC1) [3]
  - "exist-db-nightly": The latest nightly build of the develop branch (via static.adamretter.org.uk/exist-nightly) [4]

These join an older cask for the stable version of eXist:

  - "exist-db": The latest stable release (currently 2.2) [5]

If you're interested in giving these a try (and you're using a Mac), install homebrew as instructed at http://brew.sh. Cask is supported by default so "exist-db" would be available to all Homebrew users out of the box, but to be able to get at the two new casks, you need to go through one more step: add the "caskroom-versions" tap as instructed in the homebrew-caskroom-versions readme file [2]. Once ready, then install any of these versions of eXist as follows:

  brew cask install exist-db
  brew cask install exist-db3
  brew cask install exist-db-nightly

I can anticipate a few questions:

  - Who's going to keep these up to date? I'll commit to maintaining these casks.

  - Is it a pain to keep these casks up to date? No. I've submitted updated casks for several utilities that I rely on. It's all done via git on GitHub.com, and the project maintainers are fast to respond and supportive. And the "nightly" cask, which changes, er... nightly, doesn't need to be updated because of the way that I wrote the recipe - it always grab the latest from the server.  So only the release casks need manual updating, and that's only as often as new release candidates or stable releases happen.  Or if the actual locations / release mechanisms change, which shouldn't be often or difficult to handle.

  - What are the next changes to these casks? Based on Wolfgang's reply, 3.0RC3 or 3.0 final will follow within the next days. If it's a release candidate, the "exist-db3" cask will be updated from RC1 to RC3. When 3.0 final is released, I will update the main "exist-db" cask from 2.2 to 3.0 (and then to 3.x, and beyond). The "exist-db3" cask will be deleted. If needed, I could add a "exist-db2" cask to "caskroom-versions" as a way for users to access 2.x. The "exist-db-nightly" cask will stay up to date with the develop branch. If a new RC cycle begins for 3.1 or 4.0, I'd establish a version-specific cask for during the release candidate cycle in "caskroom-versions."

  - Why is eXist going into the Caskroom and not the regular old Homebrew? Homebrew and Cask are related projects, the primary difference is that Homebrew is for command line utilities, where as Cask is for GUI applications. eXist is both. Regular old Homebrew could thus accommodate eXist. But there's a secondary difference: Homebrew encourages projects to write a "recipe" for compiling their utilities from source (which would require accounting for eXist's JDK dependency), whereas Cask accepts pre-built binaries. I selected Cask for my task because I was after a way to quickly install pre-built binaries. Others are free to write such a Homebrew "recipe" for eXist. BaseX and Saxon are available via regular old Homebrew. And many utilities are available in both - offering their pre-built binaries in Cask and their more command line, source-re-compilable versions in Homebrew.

  - Why are the release candidate and nightly casks going into Cask's "Versions" repository? See [1]. The current stable release goes into the main Cask repo; version-specific casks, including release candidates and nightlies go into Versions.

Joe

On Sat, Dec 24, 2016 at 4:00 PM, Wolfgang Meier <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Joe,

I'd like to make the latest eXist 3.0 release candidate available via homebrew cask.  Should I link to RC1?  I notice that there is a 3.0RC2 available via https://bintray.com/existdb/releases/exist, dated August 3, 2016.  If that version is better, I'll link to that one instead.

This was a build for testing, but a lot has happened since. I would thus link to RC1 for now. An RC3 (or even final maybe) should follow within the next days.

Re: Mac users: eXist-db available via homebrew cask

As promised in my email below from December, I've updated the eXist homebrew casks for the 3.0 release. Here are the current targets:

1. exist-db: now installs 3.0 (previously installed 2.2)

  brew cask install exist-db

Note: it doesn't overwrite a precious non-homebrew installation of eXist from /Applications, so if you have one, delete it or move it out first before installing with homebrew.

2. exist-db-nightly: unchanged, still downloads the latest nightly build of the develop branch from Adam Retter's server (thank you Adam!)

  brew cask install exist-db-nightly

The exist-db3 cask is now gone, now that 3 is out and the stable release.

As new releases of 3.0 are issued, I'll update the "exist-db" cask, particularly as any late-breaking bugs are fixed. The nightly cask self-updates, so you're always getting the latest from that.

Joe

--
Sent from my iPhone

Re: Mac users: eXist-db available via homebrew cask

Joern Turner-4
Joe,

that's great - would be even greater if it would work without the hyphen ;)

Hi all,

--
Sent from my iPhone

Re: Mac users: eXist-db available via homebrew cask

Joe Wicentowski
LOL!

--
Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Mac users: eXist-db available via homebrew cask

Thnx!!!!!!!

Regards

www.exist-db.org

> On 10 Feb 2017, at 04:43, Joe Wicentowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> As promised in my email below from December, I've updated the eXist homebrew casks for the 3.0 release. Here are the current targets:

Re: Mac users: eXist-db available via homebrew cask

For Mac users, the Homebrew package manager is now updated with eXist 3.1.0.  Here are the various options and directions for installing eXist 3.1.0 or the latest nightly build:

To install eXist via homebrew for the first time:

1. Install homebrew from http://brew.sh
2. Delete any previous non-homebrew installation of eXist from /Applications
3. Install eXist 3.1.0 with the following command

  brew cask install exist-db

To upgrade from a previous homebrew installation:

  brew update
  brew cask reinstall exist-db

To install the latest nightly build:

  brew cask install exist-db-nightly

To upgrade to the latest nightly build:

  brew cask reinstall exist-db-nightly

To uninstall exist-db:

  brew cask uninstall exist-db

To uninstall exist-db-nightly:

  brew cask uninstall exist-db-nightly

Joe

Hi all,

--
Sent from my iPhone

Re: Mac users: eXist-db available via homebrew cask

Adam Retter
Joern,

Could we get some sort of Homebrew button on the website near the
Downloads that gives the instructions?