Quantcast

Needed: server hosting for demo.exist-db.org and wiki.exist-db.org

Needed: server hosting for demo.exist-db.org and wiki.exist-db.org

Dannes Wessels

To be able to provide better support on the eXist database project, we would like to move the demo server and wiki server to another location.

The demo server, which serves the dynamic parts (including documentation) of the eXist website, as well as the wiki are currently running on two pretty old desktop machines, located in Wolfgang's old office at Darmstadt university.
This is only a temporary solution as he is no longer working there officially. The demo server tends to break down with a hardware failure once every week. Judging from the complaints we received, quite a lot of people seem to regularly use this server for demonstration purposes.

Therefore we are looking for one or two servers to run these web applications, preferably in a professional server farm.

For us the following are the most important requirements:
- Secure remote access (SSH)
- Java J2SE 5 (JDK needed))
- Tomcat 5.5.9

The operating system is not important as long we can have remote access (and Java :-) )

Please contact me (dizzzz) or wolfgang if you would like to 'donate' us hosting facilities for our webapplications.

kind regards,

# Dannes Wessels # The Netherlands #
# Jabber / ICQ / MSN / AIM / Yahoo / google.com/talk #

Re: Needed: server hosting for demo.exist-db.org and wiki.exist-db.org

Jean-Christophe Kermagoret-2
Hello,
we'll be happy to host your great project for free.

We may provide you hosting capabilities through a virtual linux server
(so ssh + jdk1.5 + tomcat 5.5.9 is available without problems).

The real server is hosted in professional farm with electrical backup.
If you want us to backup your data, it is possible as well (1Go max).

Like it is a mutual hosting, and I'm (a little) afraid of performance
impact, I will just ask you not to use it for other purposes than demo
and wiki.

It is all I can offer you.

Are you interested ?

Jean-Christophe,

PS: how did you get your gmail account ?

--

BlueXML
Jean-Christophe Kermagoret

Re: Needed: server hosting for demo.exist-db.org and wiki.exist-db.org

> We may provide you hosting capabilities through a virtual linux server
> (so ssh + jdk1.5 + tomcat 5.5.9 is available without problems).
>
> The real server is hosted in professional farm with electrical backup.
> If you want us to backup your data, it is possible as well (1Go max).
>
> Like it is a mutual hosting, and I'm (a little) afraid of performance
> impact, I will just ask you not to use it for other purposes than demo
> and wiki.

That would be perfect!!! Just today, the wiki and demo servers are down again,
this time due to a network failure :-( I would really be happy to migrate the
servers soon. Concerning performance considerations, I will try to limit the
data on the demo server to the necessary. Currently, traffic is low, but that
will change immediately after a new release.

We probably don't need backup since we can use eXist's and snipsnap's own
backup facilities.

> PS: how did you get your gmail account ?

I sent you a gmail invitation.

Thanks for helping us out,

Re: Needed: server hosting for demo.exist-db.org and wiki.exist-db.org

Adam Retter-7
Just a note to say -

We may also be able to offer hosting, but I will need to ask the powers
that be (so this could go either way!). Our servers are hosted on a
reliable multi-megabit connection within Devon County Councils
datacenter. They are SuSE Linux 9.3, JDK 1.5 and Apache HTTPD 2 and
Apache Tomcat 5.

I see you already have one offer, perhaps you could set up mirror sites
and round-robin the DNS or something?

Cheers Adam.