New Snapshot

wolfgangmm
After some last-minute fixes yesterday (thanks to Pierrick and
Dannes), I finally managed to upload the long-awaited new snapshot.
The change log is really long. For the full list of changes, see

http://wiki.exist-db.org/space/Change+Log

Just to mention a few highlights:

* more reliable recovery; performance trade-off for the journal log
should be minimized

* significant performance boost when storing documents; reduced memory
usage during indexing should prevent out-of-memory errors

* many small detail changes to bring the XQuery implementation closer
to the spec, in particular concerning sequence type checks

* fulltext index now reports the exact location of a match, which
makes new functions possible (e.g. the new kwic function)

* many small fixes in the XQuery engine to speed up some types of
XQuery expressions (thanks to those who provided test data and
queries)

* new schema validation code: still work in progress, but validating
documents against stored schemas does already work nice and fast

* improved clustering

* lots of bug fixes everywhere!

The new snapshot is available here:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/exist/eXist-snapshot-20051026.jar

Re: New Snapshot

Alex Milowski-2
On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 10:48 +0200, Wolfgang Meier wrote:

> The new snapshot is available here:
>
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/exist/eXist-snapshot-20051026.jar
>
> Wolfgang

When I try this with an existing database, I an exception at startup.
Is this version suppose to be binary-compatible with a previous
database?

This is the exception:

java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 6===============           ]
(78 %)
        at
org.exist.util.ByteConversion.byteToShort(ByteConversion.java:60)
        at org.exist.dom.ElementImpl.deserialize(ElementImpl.java:153)
        at org.exist.dom.NodeImpl.deserialize(NodeImpl.java:105)
        at org.exist.dom.NodeImpl.deserialize(NodeImpl.java:131)
        at org.exist.storage.NativeBroker
$8.start(NativeBroker.java:1880)
        at
org.exist.storage.dom.DOMTransaction.run(DOMTransaction.java:56)
        at
org.exist.storage.NativeBroker.objectWith(NativeBroker.java:1870)
        at
org.exist.dom.DocumentImpl.getChildNodes(DocumentImpl.java:399)
        at
org.exist.dom.DocumentImpl.getDocumentElement(DocumentImpl.java:446)
        at
org.exist.security.SecurityManager.<init>(SecurityManager.java:103)
        at org.exist.storage.BrokerPool.initialize(BrokerPool.java:644)
        at org.exist.storage.BrokerPool.<init>(BrokerPool.java:542)
        at org.exist.storage.BrokerPool.configure(BrokerPool.java:158)
        at org.exist.storage.BrokerPool.configure(BrokerPool.java:132)
        at org.exist.StandaloneServer.run(StandaloneServer.java:173)
        at org.exist.StandaloneServer.main(StandaloneServer.java:414)
        at
        at
        at org.exist.start.Main.invokeMain(Main.java:119)
        at org.exist.start.Main.run(Main.java:372)
        at org.exist.start.Main.main(Main.java:48)

--Alex Milowski

Re: New Snapshot

Pierrick Brihaye
Hi,

Alex Milowski wrote:

> When I try this with an existing database, I an exception at startup.
> Is this version suppose to be binary-compatible with a previous
> database?

Absolutely *not* ! Restore from a backup.

Cheers,

p.b.

Re: New Snapshot

Alex Milowski-2
On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 20:17 +0200, Pierrick Brihaye wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Alex Milowski wrote:
>
> > When I try this with an existing database, I an exception at startup.
> > Is this version suppose to be binary-compatible with a previous
> > database?
>
> Absolutely *not* ! Restore from a backup.

Makes sense...

The backup and restore worked fine.

BTW, when I was restoring, the server's log file had a bunch of log
entries like:

hits: 52229; misses: 254; thrashing: 2; thrashing: 2

What do those lines mean?

--Alex Milowski

Re: New Snapshot

Pierrick Brihaye
Hi,

Alex Milowski wrote:

> The backup and restore worked fine.

Good news :-)

> BTW, when I was restoring, the server's log file had a bunch of log
> entries like:
>
> hits: 52229; misses: 254; thrashing: 2; thrashing: 2

Cache performance.

A lot of hits (things that were in the cache)
A few misses (things that wer not in the cache)
2 pages discarded in 30 seconds.

Not so bad, really !

See : org.exist.storage.cache.Accounting.

Cheers,

p.b.