Quantcast

Preferred Method of Virtual Hosting eXist Under Apache/Tomcat

Preferred Method of Virtual Hosting eXist Under Apache/Tomcat

hguiney
Hey All,

I'm using VirtualHosts to serve subdomains under Apache HTTP Server. I
would like to map eXist, currently being served by Tomcat, to a
dedicated subdomain, without specifying the port or context paths. So
instead of http://mywebsite.com:8080/exist/ I can just go to
http://exist.mywebsite.com/

I was able to get close to what I wanted using [this
configuration](http://exist.sourceforge.net/production_web_proxying.html#d1956e342)
removing the `/db/mywebsite.com/` parts, but when I try to log in to
the admin panel I get (in raw HTML):

found</h1>

…which seems to suggest the base exist/ context path is hardcoded
somewhere. Is there a solution to this? I tried `mod_proxy_html`
following [this
tutorial](http://dltj.org/article/apache-httpd-and-tomcat/) but only
got server errors. Would `mod_proxy_xml` do the trick? Or is there
another, preferred method?

Thanks!
-Hugh

Re: Preferred Method of Virtual Hosting eXist Under Apache/Tomcat

Loren Cahlander
Have you tried the setup that is documented here: http://exist-db.org/exist-stack.html#d1931e1118 ?

On Dec 19, 2011, at 8:44 PM, Hugh Guiney wrote:

> Hey All,
>
> I'm using VirtualHosts to serve subdomains under Apache HTTP Server. I
> would like to map eXist, currently being served by Tomcat, to a
> dedicated subdomain, without specifying the port or context paths. So
> instead of http://mywebsite.com:8080/exist/ I can just go to
> http://exist.mywebsite.com/
>
> I was able to get close to what I wanted using [this
> configuration](http://exist.sourceforge.net/production_web_proxying.html#d1956e342)
> removing the `/db/mywebsite.com/` parts, but when I try to log in to
> the admin panel I get (in raw HTML):

> found</h1>
>
> …which seems to suggest the base exist/ context path is hardcoded
> somewhere. Is there a solution to this? I tried `mod_proxy_html`
> following [this
> tutorial](http://dltj.org/article/apache-httpd-and-tomcat/) but only
> got server errors. Would `mod_proxy_xml` do the trick? Or is there
> another, preferred method?
>
> Thanks!
> -Hugh

Re: Preferred Method of Virtual Hosting eXist Under Apache/Tomcat

hguiney
I have now. I get a 400 Bad Request.

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 9:54 PM, Loren Cahlander
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Have you tried the setup that is documented here: http://exist-db.org/exist-stack.html#d1931e1118 ?
>
> On Dec 19, 2011, at 8:44 PM, Hugh Guiney wrote:
>
>> Hey All,
>>
>> I'm using VirtualHosts to serve subdomains under Apache HTTP Server. I
>> would like to map eXist, currently being served by Tomcat, to a
>> dedicated subdomain, without specifying the port or context paths. So
>> instead of http://mywebsite.com:8080/exist/ I can just go to
>> http://exist.mywebsite.com/
>>
>> I was able to get close to what I wanted using [this
>> configuration](http://exist.sourceforge.net/production_web_proxying.html#d1956e342)
>> removing the `/db/mywebsite.com/` parts, but when I try to log in to
>> the admin panel I get (in raw HTML):

>> found</h1>
>>
>> …which seems to suggest the base exist/ context path is hardcoded
>> somewhere. Is there a solution to this? I tried `mod_proxy_html`
>> following [this
>> tutorial](http://dltj.org/article/apache-httpd-and-tomcat/) but only
>> got server errors. Would `mod_proxy_xml` do the trick? Or is there
>> another, preferred method?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> -Hugh

Re: Preferred Method of Virtual Hosting eXist Under Apache/Tomcat

My preferred method is to use nginx and eXist-db in minimal mode as also described in that production article. However if you are using Apache httpd and Tomcat together you could also look at mod_jk.

removing the `/db/<a href="http://mywebsite.com/`" target="_blank">mywebsite.com/` parts, but when I try to log in to
the admin panel I get (in raw HTML):

found</h1>

…which seems to suggest the base exist/ context path is hardcoded
somewhere. Is there a solution to this? I tried `mod_proxy_html`
following [this
tutorial](http://dltj.org/article/apache-httpd-and-tomcat/) but only
got server errors. Would `mod_proxy_xml` do the trick? Or is there
another, preferred method?

Thanks!
-Hugh

Re: Preferred Method of Virtual Hosting eXist Under Apache/Tomcat

hguiney
mod_jk and Tomcat virtual hosts were just a nightmare to get running
correctly. I solved this by deploying the eXist WAR into the root
context and then just proxying to the same domain at 8080.