Problems installing eXist 3.0 on Linux

Ari Nordström
Hi all,

So I eagerly downloaded the new 3.0 release and installed it on my Ubuntu Linux laptop running the Cinnamon desktop. I did the install as a normal user, in my home directory, and set up an admin account. My Java version is an OpenJDK one, 1.8 something.

The install itself seemed to go well but then problems ensued.

First of all, the new eXist menu item wouldn't start anything, and neither would "java -jar start.jar" from bash in $EXIST_HOME. I made sure I had $JAVA_HOME and $EXIST_HOME set. Interestingly, the second time I ran "java -jar start.jar" did start eXist. It set up the packages and I was then able to log in as admin.

I then tried creating a new collection via the Dashboard Collections browser but I got an error ("Error creating..."). Closing the Collections browser app and refreshing Dashboard, I noticed that I wasn't logged in anymore.

I logged in again and repeated the above, with the same results.

The web browser I tested with is Chrome, but I got the same results with a fresh Firefox. Neither browser had any active add-ons, and I made sure to clear caches and cookies between tries.

I speculated that the OpenJDK might have something to with the problem so I downloaded and installed the 1.8 Oracle equivalent, and then did a fresh eXist install, but with the same results. I cannot create collections, probably because I can't stay logged in.

The laptop has an eXist 2.2 install, installed in the exact same way, and that runs without any problems.

I also tried installing the new 3.0 on a Windows 10 partition on the same laptop, and that worked without a hitch.

Any hints, comments, suggestions, etc are appreciated. Unfortunately I'm not writing this on that laptop so I can't read the logs, but to my recollection, there was something about not finding OpenID or OAuth and that was it..

Thanks,

Ari

Re: Problems installing eXist 3.0 on Linux

Ari Nordström
Hello,

I just wanted to give an update on this for anyone who comes across my original post.

I managed to solve the login problems by resetting Chrome completely--deleting the cache and cookies did not help. Interestingly, the supposedly fresh Firefox install I had needed a reset, too.

Thanks,

Ari

On 16 February 2017 at 09:20, Ari Nordström <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Martin Holmes
We've been running various builds of the new 3.0 on Ubuntu desktops
without problems, so I think this much just have been a browser issue.

Cheers,
Martin

On 2017-02-20 01:29 AM, Ari Nordström wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just wanted to give an update on this for anyone who comes across my
> original post.
>
> I managed to solve the login problems by resetting Chrome
> completely--deleting the cache and cookies did not help. Interestingly,
> the supposedly fresh Firefox install I had needed a reset, too.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ari
>
> On 16 February 2017 at 09:20, Ari Nordström <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     So I eagerly downloaded the new 3.0 release and installed it on my
>     Ubuntu Linux laptop running the Cinnamon desktop. I did the install
>     as a normal user, in my home directory, and set up an admin account.
>     My Java version is an OpenJDK one, 1.8 something.
>
>     The install itself seemed to go well but then problems ensued.
>
>     First of all, the new eXist menu item wouldn't start anything, and
>     neither would "java -jar start.jar" from bash in $EXIST_HOME. I made
>     sure I had $JAVA_HOME and $EXIST_HOME set. Interestingly, the second
>     time I ran "java -jar start.jar" did start eXist. It set up the
>     packages and I was then able to log in as admin.
>
>     I then tried creating a new collection via the Dashboard Collections
>     browser but I got an error ("Error creating..."). Closing the
>     Collections browser app and refreshing Dashboard, I noticed that I
>     wasn't logged in anymore.
>
>     I logged in again and repeated the above, with the same results.
>
>     The web browser I tested with is Chrome, but I got the same results
>     with a fresh Firefox. Neither browser had any active add-ons, and I
>     made sure to clear caches and cookies between tries.
>
>     I speculated that the OpenJDK might have something to with the
>     problem so I downloaded and installed the 1.8 Oracle equivalent, and
>     then did a fresh eXist install, but with the same results. I cannot
>     create collections, probably because I can't stay logged in.
>
>     The laptop has an eXist 2.2 install, installed in the exact same
>     way, and that runs without any problems.
>
>     I also tried installing the new 3.0 on a Windows 10 partition on the
>     same laptop, and that worked without a hitch.
>
>     Any hints, comments, suggestions, etc are appreciated. Unfortunately
>     I'm not writing this on that laptop so I can't read the logs, but to
>     my recollection, there was something about not finding OpenID or
>     OAuth and that was it..
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     Ari

Re: Problems installing eXist 3.0 on Linux

Dannes Wessels-3
Thnx for the feedback!

On 20 Feb 2017, at 17:14 , Martin Holmes <[hidden email]> wrote:

We've been running various builds of the new 3.0 on Ubuntu desktops
without problems, so I think this much just have been a browser issue.

Re: Problems installing eXist 3.0 on Linux

Thank you for the follow-up;

It is an interesting casus….. maybe there were wrong file permissions in de browser-cache directories?

On 20 Feb 2017, at 10:29 , Ari Nordström <[hidden email]> wrote:

I just wanted to give an update on this for anyone who comes across my original post.

I managed to solve the login problems by resetting Chrome completely--deleting the cache and cookies did not help. Interestingly, the supposedly fresh Firefox install I had needed a reset, too.

Re: Problems installing eXist 3.0 on Linux

Ari Nordström
Hi,

The menu item issue has not resolved itself, unfortunately. On my Cinnamon desktop, the menu item will not start anything. The Uninstall item works, though. Also, I frequently have to do "java -jar start.jar" twice to get eXist to start. It's really odd.

There's also the eXist login popup issue (discussed on Github), but that's not specific to 3.0 and so I should perhaps start another conversation for that. For me, the popup will not show on either Chrome or FF on Linux. I have to click on Collections to show it.

Thanks,

/Ari

On 21 February 2017 at 08:52, Adam Retter <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Adam Retter
Hi Ari,

Hmm Cinnamon desktop okay. If I am not mistaken that is not the
default on Ubuntu.

I also use Linux Mint sometimes which has a Cinnamon desktop spin. Are
you on Ubuntu (with Cinnamon) or Linux Mint (Cinnamon)?

On 21 February 2017 at 09:22, Ari Nordström <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The menu item issue has not resolved itself, unfortunately. On my Cinnamon
> desktop, the menu item will not start anything. The Uninstall item works,
> though. Also, I frequently have to do "java -jar start.jar" twice to get
> eXist to start. It's really odd.
>
> There's also the eXist login popup issue (discussed on Github), but that's
> not specific to 3.0 and so I should perhaps start another conversation for
> that. For me, the popup will not show on either Chrome or FF on Linux. I
> have to click on Collections to show it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> /Ari
>
> On 21 February 2017 at 08:52, Adam Retter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Having been Martin's comment, I wondered if the issue with the eXist menu
>> item resolved itself?
>>
>> On 20 Feb 2017 9:29 a.m., "Ari Nordström" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I just wanted to give an update on this for anyone who comes across my
>>> original post.
>>>
>>> I managed to solve the login problems by resetting Chrome
>>> completely--deleting the cache and cookies did not help. Interestingly, the
>>> supposedly fresh Firefox install I had needed a reset, too.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Ari

Re: Problems installing eXist 3.0 on Linux

Ari Nordström
I'm on Ubuntu. Seem to remember that 2.2 does not have these issues but I could be wrong.

Never could stand Unity for long so I've run both Gnome and KDE, too.