Query links in Wikipedia don't work

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Query links in Wikipedia don't work

John Preimonas-2
Hi,
I am looking at maps and such in eXist/Xquery but the examples and their links do not work, e.g.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/XQuery/Nationalgrid_and_Google_Maps 
and its links…
import module namespace geo="http://www.cems.uwe.ac.uk/xmlwiki/geo" at "../lib/geo.xqm";
import module namespace gmap = "http://www.cems.uwe.ac.uk/xmlwiki/gmap"

Where can I see these Wikipedia examples now?

Cheers,
John Preimonas
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Exist-open mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/exist-open
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Query links in Wikipedia don't work

Joe Wicentowski
John, I believe Chris Wallace wrote that page. (Chris is often at sea and might not get back to us for some time.) 

Chris, are the library modules referenced in the wikibook page below available anywhere?

Joe

Sent from my iPhone




On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 4:19 AM -0400, "John Preimonas" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi, 
I am looking at maps and such in eXist/Xquery but the examples and their links do not work, e.g.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/XQuery/Nationalgrid_and_Google_Maps 
and its links…
import module namespace geo="http://www.cems.uwe.ac.uk/xmlwiki/geo" at "../lib/geo.xqm";
import module namespace gmap = "http://www.cems.uwe.ac.uk/xmlwiki/gmap"

Where can I see these Wikipedia examples now?

Cheers,
John Preimonas
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Exist-open mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/exist-open

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Exist-open mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/exist-open
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Query links in Wikipedia don't work

Chris Wallace-6
Hi Joe

Just back from the high seas a few days ago - the Black Sea this year .

Thanks for passing this on.  I started moving all my examples from my old university server to my own and this jogs me to finish the job and also to ensure that any modules of my own are at least available via Github.

Regards

Chris

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 12:28 PM, Joe Wicentowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
John, I believe Chris Wallace wrote that page. (Chris is often at sea and might not get back to us for some time.) 

Chris, are the library modules referenced in the wikibook page below available anywhere?

Joe

Sent from my iPhone




On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 4:19 AM -0400, "John Preimonas" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi, 
I am looking at maps and such in eXist/Xquery but the examples and their links do not work, e.g.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/XQuery/Nationalgrid_and_Google_Maps 
and its links…
import module namespace geo="http://www.cems.uwe.ac.uk/xmlwiki/geo" at "../lib/geo.xqm";
import module namespace gmap = "http://www.cems.uwe.ac.uk/xmlwiki/gmap"

Where can I see these Wikipedia examples now?

Cheers,
John Preimonas
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Exist-open mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/exist-open


------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Exist-open mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/exist-open
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Query links in Wikipedia don't work

Dmitriy Shabanov
Hi Chris,

Why you do not use github wiki for that? I can help if you want to go that way.

Here info.

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 4:13 PM, Chris Wallace <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Joe

Just back from the high seas a few days ago - the Black Sea this year .

Thanks for passing this on.  I started moving all my examples from my old university server to my own and this jogs me to finish the job and also to ensure that any modules of my own are at least available via Github.

Regards

Chris

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 12:28 PM, Joe Wicentowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
John, I believe Chris Wallace wrote that page. (Chris is often at sea and might not get back to us for some time.) 

Chris, are the library modules referenced in the wikibook page below available anywhere?

Joe

Sent from my iPhone




On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 4:19 AM -0400, "John Preimonas" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi, 
I am looking at maps and such in eXist/Xquery but the examples and their links do not work, e.g.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/XQuery/Nationalgrid_and_Google_Maps 
and its links…
import module namespace geo="http://www.cems.uwe.ac.uk/xmlwiki/geo" at "../lib/geo.xqm";
import module namespace gmap = "http://www.cems.uwe.ac.uk/xmlwiki/gmap"

Where can I see these Wikipedia examples now?

Cheers,
John Preimonas
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Exist-open mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/exist-open


------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Exist-open mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/exist-open




--
Dmitriy Shabanov

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Exist-open mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/exist-open
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Query links in Wikipedia don't work

Chris Wallace-6
Hi Dmitriy 

Could you elaborate?  how would that work with the Wikibook or are you suggesting moving the whole wikibook to Github? 

The task of updating the executable examples is not insignificant - there are several hundred scripts to check, and many need changes due to changes in eXist and more significantly,  changes in the behaviour of sites accessed by scripts and changes in Wikibook behaviour itself.  I've only converted 15% of the links so far.  

I've been promising for some time to explore a literate programming style in which the executable script and the text embedded in discussion are the same - presently they are different.  This is the approach used in my XQuery Cookbook http://kitwallace.co.uk/Book/

I suppose I wonder if this effort is really worthwhile??

Chris



On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 10:46 AM, Dmitriy Shabanov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Chris,

Why you do not use github wiki for that? I can help if you want to go that way.

Here info.

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 4:13 PM, Chris Wallace <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Joe

Just back from the high seas a few days ago - the Black Sea this year .

Thanks for passing this on.  I started moving all my examples from my old university server to my own and this jogs me to finish the job and also to ensure that any modules of my own are at least available via Github.

Regards

Chris

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 12:28 PM, Joe Wicentowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
John, I believe Chris Wallace wrote that page. (Chris is often at sea and might not get back to us for some time.) 

Chris, are the library modules referenced in the wikibook page below available anywhere?

Joe

Sent from my iPhone




On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 4:19 AM -0400, "John Preimonas" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi, 
I am looking at maps and such in eXist/Xquery but the examples and their links do not work, e.g.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/XQuery/Nationalgrid_and_Google_Maps 
and its links…
import module namespace geo="http://www.cems.uwe.ac.uk/xmlwiki/geo" at "../lib/geo.xqm";
import module namespace gmap = "http://www.cems.uwe.ac.uk/xmlwiki/gmap"

Where can I see these Wikipedia examples now?

Cheers,
John Preimonas
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Exist-open mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/exist-open


------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Exist-open mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/exist-open




--
Dmitriy Shabanov


------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Exist-open mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/exist-open
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Query links in Wikipedia don't work

Dmitriy Shabanov
Hi Chris,

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 2:13 PM, Chris Wallace <[hidden email]> wrote:
Could you elaborate?  how would that work with the Wikibook or are you suggesting moving the whole wikibook to Github? 

Yes, move  wikibook to Github. I think that github will cover only "collaborating" needs, but that give a way to others to help.

The task of updating the executable examples is not insignificant - there are several hundred scripts to check, and many need changes due to changes in eXist and more significantly,  changes in the behaviour of sites accessed by scripts and changes in Wikibook behaviour itself.  I've only converted 15% of the links so far.

It's possible to use testing framework to automate scripts checks with different eXist version. And use "include" as reference for that scripts on wiki page.

I've been promising for some time to explore a literate programming style in which the executable script and the text embedded in discussion are the same - presently they are different.  This is the approach used in my XQuery Cookbook http://kitwallace.co.uk/Book/

I suppose I wonder if this effort is really worthwhile??

I have no answer on that question -)

--
Dmitriy Shabanov

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Exist-open mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/exist-open
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Query links in Wikipedia don't work

Joe Wicentowski
Hi all,

> Yes, move  wikibook to Github. I think that github will cover only
> "collaborating" needs, but that give a way to others to help.

The wikibook is quite easy to contribute to, no?  A more compelling
reason to move to a GitHub wiki would be that you can edit files
locally, since GitHub wikis are just plain old git repositories that
you can clone to your computer.  This can be more convenient than
making edits in the wikibook web page.

A more valuable migration might be to an eXist app structure, where
the app can both display the book and execute the code (like
http://exist-db.org/exist/apps/demo/examples/basic/hello.html).  Your
book app does this already, right?  (Is the source for that on
GitHub?)  An app edition of the XQuery wikibook (or its contents)
would have some additional benefits: your app could be listed in the
public repository, could be installed easily on the machines of
learners.

> It's possible to use testing framework to automate scripts checks with
> different eXist version. And use "include" as reference for that scripts on
> wiki page.

These are both cool ideas.  In particular, a testing framework could
immediately flag breaking changes, in either edits to XQuery files or
in upgrades to newer eXist versions (and here GitHub's integration of
continuous integration servers could certainly help).  And both ideas
would make for nice demonstrations in and of themselves.

Joe

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Exist-open mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/exist-open