Range Indexing not working ?

Guillermo Barreiro
I am trying to range index a collection in an eXist Database, snapshot 20050805, using the following xconf file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<collection xmlns="http://exist-db.org/collection-config/1.0">
        <fulltext default="none" attributes="false" alphanum="false"/>
        <create path="//MyElement/@id" type="xs:string"/>
        <create path="//MyElement/@firstName" type="xs:string"/>
        <create path="//MyElement/@lastName" type="xs:string"/>
</collection>

When I try reindexing the log shows that the xconf file was actually parsed and that the reindexing was under way:

2005-09-27 16:44:26,343 [http-80-Processor3] DEBUG (RpcConnection.java [parse]:1162) - parsing /db/system/config/db/data/myCollection/myCollection.xconf took 15ms.
2005-09-27 16:44:37,562 [http-80-Processor13] DEBUG (NativeBroker.java [reindex]:1854) - Reindexing collection /db/data/myCollection

Unfortunately, the log does not show any signs that the collection was actually reindexed. Furthermore, if I run an xQuery referencing one of the "indexed" attributes I do not get any [quickNodeSetCompare] entries in the log, and the performance time of the xQueries does not improve a bit.
At first I thought the index-path of my xconf file was incorrect, but, when I changed the "type" attribute from "xs:string" to "xs:double", I got the following warning message:

2005-09-27 16:24:32,281 [http-80-Processor3] WARN  (NativeValueIndex.java [convertToAtomic]:723) - The specified type: 'xs:double' and value 'JACKELYN' cannot be used as index key. It is null or does not implement interface Indexable.
2005-09-27 16:24:32,281 [http-80-Processor3] WARN  (NativeValueIndex.java [convertToAtomic]:718) - Node value: 'JGODFREY555' cannot be converted to type xs:double

This clearly indicated the indexing was trying to take place on the right attribute and that the indexing went through all the resources of the collection.

I find this error extremely strange because I performed the same indexing on the same collection placed on the previous snapshot of eXist and everything went well.

Any help would be grately appreciatted.

Guillermo Barreiro

Re: Range Indexing not working ?

Not sure if it applies here, but I remember that I fixed a bug
regarding range indexes on attributes a few weeks ago. I checked the
cvs change log and found my old message: "range indexes defined on
attribute values were not used". So if you are indeed using the index
on attributes only, it is very likely that the bug is already fixed.
Please check the cvs version if possible.

Wolfgang