Re: Exist Client fails adding xml files and admin does not allow adding

Re: Exist Client fails adding xml files and admin does not allow adding

sergio del amo

>From: "Michael Beddow" <[hidden email]>
>To: <[hidden email]>
>Subject: Re: [Exist-open] Exist Client fails adding xml files and admin does not allow adding a directory
>Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 10:30:08 +0100
>

>>I downloaded  eXist-1.0b2-build-1107.jar
>>

>Please get something less old and bug-ridden. There should be a new snapshot
>very soon now. Or use the last available snapshot. Or fetch the CVS  version
>and do a dist-war build.
>

>>  Could not parse ... xmlfilenames.
>>

>Often really means "could not find..."  But try again when you have a more
>recent build
>
>Michael Beddow

I got eXist-snapshot-20050805.jar from exist webpage. But the problem is
still there. I am not able to import anyfile using the client and
through the admin page i just upload one file at a time. When i try to
upload with the client a simple file like:
<book>
  <title>booktitle</title>
  <author>authorname</author>
</book>
 i get Message:
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Invalid byte 1 of 1-byte UTF-8 sequence.
and stacktrace:
org.xmldb.api.base.XMLDBException: org.xml.sax.SAXParseException:
Invalid byte 1 of 1-byte UTF-8 sequence.
    at org.exist.xmldb.RemoteCollection.store(RemoteCollection.java:442)
    at
org.exist.xmldb.RemoteCollection.storeResource(RemoteCollection.java:407)
    at
org.exist.xmldb.RemoteCollection.storeResource(RemoteCollection.java:393)
    at org.exist.client.InteractiveClient.parse(InteractiveClient.java:1383)
    at
org.exist.client.InteractiveClient.process(InteractiveClient.java:618)
    at org.exist.client.ClientFrame$ProcessThread.run(ClientFrame.java:1317)
Caused by: org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcException:
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Invalid byte 1 of 1-byte UTF-8 sequence.
    at org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcClient$Worker.execute(XmlRpcClient.java:457)
    at org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcClient.execute(XmlRpcClient.java:163)
    at org.exist.xmldb.RemoteCollection.store(RemoteCollection.java:440)
    ... 5 more
Caused by: org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcException:
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Invalid byte 1 of 1-byte UTF-8 sequence.
    at org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcClient$Worker.execute(XmlRpcClient.java:457)
    at org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcClient.execute(XmlRpcClient.java:163)
    at org.exist.xmldb.RemoteCollection.store(RemoteCollection.java:440)
    at
org.exist.xmldb.RemoteCollection.storeResource(RemoteCollection.java:407)
    at
org.exist.xmldb.RemoteCollection.storeResource(RemoteCollection.java:393)
    at org.exist.client.InteractiveClient.parse(InteractiveClient.java:1383)
    at
org.exist.client.InteractiveClient.process(InteractiveClient.java:618)
    at org.exist.client.ClientFrame$ProcessThread.run(ClientFrame.java:1317)
Any idea what is happening.

Thanks for your quick answers.

Re: Re: Exist Client fails adding xml files and admin does not allow adding

Pierrick Brihaye
Hi,

sergio del amo wrote:

[HUGE snip]

> I got eXist-snapshot-20050805.jar from exist webpage. But the problem is
> still there. I am not able to import anyfile using the client and
> through the admin page i just upload one file at a time. When i try to
> upload with the client a simple file like:
> <book>
>  <title>booktitle</title>
>  <author>authorname</author>
> </book>
> i get Message:
> org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Invalid byte 1 of 1-byte UTF-8 sequence.

Your XML is likely to be corrupted and/or badly encoded. Since encoding
is part of the XML specs, your must ensure that the actual text encoding
matches the one that is in your prolog.

Cheers,

p.b.

Re: Re: Exist Client fails adding xml files and admin does not allow adding

Michael Beddow-2

> When i try to
> upload with the client a simple file like:

> <book>
> . <title>booktitle</title>
>  <author>authorname</author>
>></book>

> i get Message:
> org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Invalid byte 1 of 1-byte UTF-8 sequence

If you are really seeing that message when trying to import that file, then
I fear there is something seriously weird about your local system.  There
are no characters there that ought to generate an error like that, even if
the encoding settings were wrong. Are you creating the files with an editor
that inserts a BOM? Have you somehow (e.g. via an IBM Java package) managed
to get Crimson into your classpath before Xerces (Crimson can react badly to
BOMs on utf-8 encoded files)?  Are you sure that the exact same files that
go in successfully one-by-one via the admin interface are generating this
error when imported via the java client?  What happens when you try to load
documents with the client addressing an embedded database in local mode (-l
switch on the command line or psuedo-url exist xmldb:exist:// selected at
startup)?

Michael Beddow

Re: Re: Exist Client fails adding xml files and admin does not allow adding

sergio del amo
I have been the whole day freak out about the thing of badly encoded
xml. At the end the issue was that i forgot to delete the file:
xmlrpc-1.1.jar from the cocoon WEB-INF/lib directory. Even if it was
written in the wiki-exist, it seems i overread. I was really freaking
out. I hope this helps people in future avoiding such a frustrating issue.
regards,
Sergio