SOAP xQuery Failing

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

SOAP xQuery Failing

Chris Lyman

Another subject line could have been ‘A Question of eXistentialism’, but I figure it’s way too early on Monday for such a bad pun.

 

            Anywho, I just updated a server from the last stable release to a dev. snapshot from late last month.  Everything was running fine until I tried to xQuery for a document that didn’t exist.  I usually test for GetHits().  If it’s 0, then there’s no document.  But now when I xQuery for a non-existent document I get an exception saying that it can’t do the xQuery.  Anybody have any ideas?

 

BTW, if it matters, I’m using ColdFusion MX 7 ßSOAPà eXist.

 

Thanks!

 

Best Regards,

Chris

 

Chris Lyman

Web Development

Apprentice Information Systems, Inc.

 

Email: [hidden email]

Web: http://www.ApprenticeIS.com/

Phone: (479) 631-8054

 

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SOAP xQuery Failing

Pierrick Brihaye
Hi,

Chris Lyman wrote:

 >             Anywho, I just updated a server from the last stable release
 > to a dev. snapshot from late last month.  Everything was running fine
 > until I tried to xQuery for a document that didn’t exist.  I usually
 > test for GetHits().  If it’s 0, then there’s no document.  But now when
 > I xQuery for a non-existent document I get an exception saying that it
 > can’t do the xQuery.  Anybody have any ideas?

Would you mind giving more details about this exception ?

Cheers,

p.b.


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Power Architecture Resource Center: Free content, downloads, discussions,
and more. http://solutions.newsforge.com/ibmarch.tmpl
_______________________________________________
Exist-open mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/exist-open
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: SOAP xQuery Failing

Chris Lyman
In reply to this post by Chris Lyman
Hi Pierrick,

        It took some digging, but here's what I found in the Tomcat logs:

java.io.IOException: java.io.IOException: Non nillable element 'collections'
is null.

        There is no mention of the error in the eXist logs.


-----Original Message-----
From: Pierrick Brihaye [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2005 11:57 AM
To: Chris Lyman
Subject: Re: [Exist-open] SOAP xQuery Failing

Hi,

Chris Lyman wrote:

>             Anywho, I just updated a server from the last stable release
> to a dev. snapshot from late last month.  Everything was running fine
> until I tried to xQuery for a document that didn't exist.  I usually
> test for GetHits().  If it's 0, then there's no document.  But now when
> I xQuery for a non-existent document I get an exception saying that it
> can't do the xQuery.  Anybody have any ideas?

Would you mind giving more details about this exception ?

Cheers,

p.b.



-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Power Architecture Resource Center: Free content, downloads, discussions,
and more. http://solutions.newsforge.com/ibmarch.tmpl
_______________________________________________
Exist-open mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/exist-open
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SOAP xQuery Failing

Pierrick Brihaye-2
Hi,

Chris Lyman wrote:

> Hi Pierrick,

... and all. We are on a mailing-list :-)

> java.io.IOException: java.io.IOException: Non nillable element 'collections'
> is null.

Mmmh... strange.

If we look at  :
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/exist/eXist-1.0/src/org/exist/soap/query.wsdl?rev=1.4&view=markup

we find :
<element name="collections" nillable="true"
type="impl:ArrayOfQueryResponseCollection"/>

<element name="collections" nillable="true" type="impl:ArrayOf_xsd_string"/>

... the "collections" element is nillable.

In general, this exception is thrown by :
org.apache.axis.encoding.ser.BeanSerializer.serialize(...)

Could you provide more info ?

Cheers,

--
Pierrick Brihaye, informaticien
Service régional de l'Inventaire
DRAC Bretagne
mailto:[hidden email]
+33 (0)2 99 29 67 78


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Power Architecture Resource Center: Free content, downloads, discussions,
and more. http://solutions.newsforge.com/ibmarch.tmpl
_______________________________________________
Exist-open mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/exist-open
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: SOAP xQuery Failing

Adam Retter-7
In reply to this post by Chris Lyman
eXist was changed so that doc() now throws an exception if you give it a
path to a non-existent document. doc-available() has been implemented to
allow you to check if the document exists.

This was done to bring eXist's XQuery inline with the W3C XQuery
Specification.

Thanks Adam.

On Mon, 2005-10-10 at 18:36 +0100, Chris Lyman wrote:

> Hi Pierrick,
>
>         It took some digging, but here's what I found in the Tomcat
> logs:
>
> java.io.IOException: java.io.IOException: Non nillable element
> 'collections'
> is null.
>
>         There is no mention of the error in the eXist logs.
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Pierrick Brihaye [mailto:[hidden email]]  
> Sent: Monday, October 10, 2005 11:57 AM
> To: Chris Lyman
> Subject: Re: [Exist-open] SOAP xQuery Failing
>
> Hi,
>
> Chris Lyman wrote:
>
> >             Anywho, I just updated a server from the last stable
> release  
> > to a dev. snapshot from late last month.  Everything was running
> fine  
> > until I tried to xQuery for a document that didn't exist.  I
> usually  
> > test for GetHits().  If it's 0, then there's no document.  But now
> when  
> > I xQuery for a non-existent document I get an exception saying that
> it  
> > can't do the xQuery.  Anybody have any ideas?
>
> Would you mind giving more details about this exception ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> p.b.
>
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------------
> This SF.Net email is sponsored by:
> Power Architecture Resource Center: Free content, downloads,
> discussions,
> and more. http://solutions.newsforge.com/ibmarch.tmpl 
> _______________________________________________
> Exist-open mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/exist-open
>


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Power Architecture Resource Center: Free content, downloads, discussions,
and more. http://solutions.newsforge.com/ibmarch.tmpl
_______________________________________________
Exist-open mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/exist-open
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SOAP xQuery Failing

wolfgangmm
> eXist was changed so that doc() now throws an exception if you give it a
> path to a non-existent document. doc-available() has been implemented to
> allow you to check if the document exists.

Yes, that's true. But Chris said he's using the last snapshot, not the
CVS version. The snapshot did not contain this change.

> This was done to bring eXist's XQuery inline with the W3C XQuery
> Specification.

Pierrick and I already argued about the correct interpretation of the
spec with respect to fn:doc and non-existing documents. Contrary to
our first reading, we have now agreed that the spec indeed allows an
implementation to return the empty sequence if a document could not be
found (i.e. if we define that eXist maps all document paths within its
own URI space to the empty sequence by default). This is the solution
I would prefer personally. Otherwise, an expression like doc("...")//a
would throw an error instead of just returning (). This would somehow
be inconsistent compared to other path expressions like e.g.
collection("...")//a, which just returns () if the collection is
empty. We will thus change fn:doc back to its old behaviour.

Wolfgang


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Power Architecture Resource Center: Free content, downloads, discussions,
and more. http://solutions.newsforge.com/ibmarch.tmpl
_______________________________________________
Exist-open mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/exist-open
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SOAP xQuery Failing

Pierrick Brihaye-2
Hi,

Wolfgang Meier wrote:

> Yes, that's true. But Chris said he's using the last snapshot, not the
> CVS version. The snapshot did not contain this change.

Good point ;-)

>> This was done to bring eXist's XQuery inline with the W3C XQuery
>> Specification.
>
> Pierrick and I already argued about the correct interpretation of the
> spec with respect to fn:doc and non-existing documents. Contrary to
> our first reading, we have now agreed that the spec indeed allows an
> implementation to return the empty sequence if a document could not be
> found (i.e. if we define that eXist maps all document paths within its
> own URI space to the empty sequence by default).

Now, the current problem is to define a *consistent* URI space within
eXist, in short what is returned by the base-uri() function.

BTW, adressing this problem first should help in solving Adam's
xmldb:remove() problems ;-)

Given such an URI scheme, we could consider an efficient implementation
of fn:doc().

Cheers,

--
Pierrick Brihaye, informaticien
Service régional de l'Inventaire
DRAC Bretagne
mailto:[hidden email]
+33 (0)2 99 29 67 78


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Power Architecture Resource Center: Free content, downloads, discussions,
and more. http://solutions.newsforge.com/ibmarch.tmpl
_______________________________________________
Exist-open mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/exist-open
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SOAP xQuery Failing

Adam Retter-7
In reply to this post by Chris Lyman

> > eXist was changed so that doc() now throws an exception if you give
> it a
> > path to a non-existent document. doc-available() has been
> implemented to
> > allow you to check if the document exists.
>
> Yes, that's true. But Chris said he's using the last snapshot, not
> the
> CVS version. The snapshot did not contain this change.
>
> > This was done to bring eXist's XQuery inline with the W3C XQuery
> > Specification.
>
> Pierrick and I already argued about the correct interpretation of the
> spec with respect to fn:doc and non-existing documents. Contrary to
> our first reading, we have now agreed that the spec indeed allows an
> implementation to return the empty sequence if a document could not
> be
> found (i.e. if we define that eXist maps all document paths within
> its
> own URI space to the empty sequence by default). This is the solution
> I would prefer personally. Otherwise, an expression like
> doc("...")//a
> would throw an error instead of just returning (). This would somehow
> be inconsistent compared to other path expressions like e.g.
> collection("...")//a, which just returns () if the collection is
> empty. We will thus change fn:doc back to its old behaviour.
>

Great news :-) I would prefer doc() to return () rather than throw an
error, just need to change my code back now to not use doc-available()


> Wolfgang
>
>
> -------------------------------------------------------
> This SF.Net email is sponsored by:
> Power Architecture Resource Center: Free content, downloads,
> discussions,
> and more. http://solutions.newsforge.com/ibmarch.tmpl 
> _______________________________________________
> Exist-open mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/exist-open
>


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Power Architecture Resource Center: Free content, downloads, discussions,
and more. http://solutions.newsforge.com/ibmarch.tmpl
_______________________________________________
Exist-open mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/exist-open
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SOAP xQuery Failing

Pierrick Brihaye-2
Hi,

Adam Retter wrote:

> Great news :-) I would prefer doc() to return ()

We agreed that such an empty sequence would be returned for non-existing
documents that should be located in *an eXist database*. That's why we
have to make eXist's URI scheme consistent first.

Documents located elsewhere are likely to throw an exception just like
the following statement in Saxon :

let $doc := doc("missed")
return $doc

> rather than throw an
> error, just need to change my code back now to not use doc-available()

I can't see in what using doc-available() would be a bad pratice.

Cheers,

--
Pierrick Brihaye, informaticien
Service régional de l'Inventaire
DRAC Bretagne
mailto:[hidden email]
+33 (0)2 99 29 67 78


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Power Architecture Resource Center: Free content, downloads, discussions,
and more. http://solutions.newsforge.com/ibmarch.tmpl
_______________________________________________
Exist-open mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/exist-open
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: SOAP xQuery Failing

Chris Lyman
In reply to this post by wolfgangmm
Hi All,

        I think I missed this in my original post (insert your typical
excuses here ;).  I'm not only trying to query on documents that don't exist
in the virtual file system, but I'm also running xQuery that tries to return
nodes that don't exist from a document that does exist.

        I tinkered with trying to test for the existence of the result set
before I actually try to query for it, but it always failed.  And to tell
the truth, I'm not that proficient in xQuery...so the problem is most likely
in my query and not the system.

        I circumvented the entire problem by moving from a simple xPath to
an xQuery that returns something no matter what.  No big deal...  If in the
future things return to the way they were, I'll migrate back.  For what's
it's worth, at least for me using GetHits() seems more intuitive for
determining how many hits you're getting back, even if the number of hits is
zero.  

Thanks for the response everybody.  I'm continually amazed by the quality of
the database and the people in the community.

Best Regards,
Chris


-----Original Message-----
From: Wolfgang Meier [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 4:19 AM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Exist-open] SOAP xQuery Failing

> eXist was changed so that doc() now throws an exception if you give it a
> path to a non-existent document. doc-available() has been implemented to
> allow you to check if the document exists.

Yes, that's true. But Chris said he's using the last snapshot, not the
CVS version. The snapshot did not contain this change.

> This was done to bring eXist's XQuery inline with the W3C XQuery
> Specification.

Pierrick and I already argued about the correct interpretation of the
spec with respect to fn:doc and non-existing documents. Contrary to
our first reading, we have now agreed that the spec indeed allows an
implementation to return the empty sequence if a document could not be
found (i.e. if we define that eXist maps all document paths within its
own URI space to the empty sequence by default). This is the solution
I would prefer personally. Otherwise, an expression like doc("...")//a
would throw an error instead of just returning (). This would somehow
be inconsistent compared to other path expressions like e.g.
collection("...")//a, which just returns () if the collection is
empty. We will thus change fn:doc back to its old behaviour.

Wolfgang


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Power Architecture Resource Center: Free content, downloads, discussions,
and more. http://solutions.newsforge.com/ibmarch.tmpl
_______________________________________________
Exist-open mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/exist-open



-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Power Architecture Resource Center: Free content, downloads, discussions,
and more. http://solutions.newsforge.com/ibmarch.tmpl
_______________________________________________
Exist-open mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/exist-open
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SOAP xQuery Failing

Gutierrez, M (Marta)
In reply to this post by Chris Lyman

Hi all:
I saw there was some discussions going on last week about the SOAP
interface.

The error:

java.io.IOException: java.io.IOException: Non nillable element
'collections'
is null.

Was supposed to happen when querying a non existent document (or node
fragment) on the dB

I was still having the same error in some of my queries by just
introducing an "order by" clause that worked before with snapshots
previous to 062005.
The order by clause also works through xmldb with the 05082005 snapshot.


So, looking at the web services package org.exist.soap The file
query.wsdl has indeed a nillable=true for the collections element, but
the corresponding class Collection.java doesn't have any reference to a
nillable collections elements.
 
I executed wsdl2java with axis 1.3 and moved manually all the stubs and
skeletons(except the Impl ones) to org.exist.soap

... after some fiddling with Collection class (All the properties from
the Collection class needed to be changed from String to String[]) the
queries came back to life.
 


  --marta















-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Power Architecture Resource Center: Free content, downloads, discussions,
and more. http://solutions.newsforge.com/ibmarch.tmpl
_______________________________________________
Exist-open mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/exist-open
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Server returned HTTP response code

Chris Tomlinson-2
Hello,

I'm running eXist snapshot 20050805 on a redhat linux 2.4.21-32.0.1.ELsmp in tomcat 5.0.28. I removed the exist directory tomcat/webapps and restarted tomcat/eXist and was loading 10 collections. The load script failed after loading 5 collections on a collection that it had previously had no problems with and which had not been changed. Stop and restarting tomcat/eXist didn't make any difference. I removed exist again from tomcat/webapps and restarted tomcat and started up the load script again and this time it loaded fine. The error that I got is below. I'd like to know what might have caused the error since it occurred during a recovery script, which of course I'd like to be robust.

Thanks for any ideas,
Chris

---------

bin/client.sh -s -u tbrc -P tbrc -c /db/tbrc/places -p /usr/local/migration-data/xml/places/content < /dev/null > /dev/null

---------

Loading mime table from file /usr/local/X/mime-types.xml
org.xmldb.api.base.XMLDBException: Server returned HTTP response code: 500 for URL: http://localhost:9080/exist/xmlrpc
        at org.exist.xmldb.RemoteCollection.store(RemoteCollection.java:447)
        at org.exist.xmldb.RemoteCollection.storeResource(RemoteCollection.java:407)
        at org.exist.xmldb.RemoteCollection.storeResource(RemoteCollection.java:393)
        at org.exist.client.InteractiveClient.parse(InteractiveClient.java:1369)
        at org.exist.client.InteractiveClient.processCommandLineActions(InteractiveClient.java:1869)
        at org.exist.client.InteractiveClient.run(InteractiveClient.java:2080)
        at org.exist.client.InteractiveClient.main(InteractiveClient.java:220)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
        at org.exist.start.Main.invokeMain(Main.java:119)
        at org.exist.start.Main.run(Main.java:375)
        at org.exist.start.Main.main(Main.java:48)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Server returned HTTP response code: 500 for URL: http://localhost:9080/exist/xmlrpc
        at org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcClient$Worker.execute(XmlRpcClient.java:444)
        at org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcClient.execute(XmlRpcClient.java:163)
        at org.exist.xmldb.RemoteCollection.store(RemoteCollection.java:440)
        ... 13 more
[[hidden email]: Server returned HTTP response code: 500 for URL: http://localhost:9080/exist/xmlrpc
        at org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcClient$Worker.execute(XmlRpcClient.java:444)
        at org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcClient.execute(XmlRpcClient.java:163)
        at org.exist.xmldb.RemoteCollection.store(RemoteCollection.java:440)
        at org.exist.xmldb.RemoteCollection.storeResource(RemoteCollection.java:407)
        at org.exist.xmldb.RemoteCollection.storeResource(RemoteCollection.java:393)
        at org.exist.client.InteractiveClient.parse(InteractiveClient.java:1369)
        at org.exist.client.InteractiveClient.processCommandLineActions(InteractiveClient.java:1869)
        at org.exist.client.InteractiveClient.run(InteractiveClient.java:2080)
        at org.exist.client.InteractiveClient.main(InteractiveClient.java:220)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
        at org.exist.start.Main.invokeMain(Main.java:119)
        at org.exist.start.Main.run(Main.java:375)
        at org.exist.start.Main.main(Main.java:48)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Server returned HTTP response code: 500 for URL: http://localhost:9080/exist/xmlrpc
        at org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcClient$Worker.execute(XmlRpcClient.java:444)
        at org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcClient.execute(XmlRpcClient.java:163)
        at org.exist.xmldb.RemoteCollection.store(RemoteCollection.java:440)
        at org.exist.xmldb.RemoteCollection.storeResource(RemoteCollection.java:407)
        at org.exist.xmldb.RemoteCollection.storeResource(RemoteCollection.java:393)
        at org.exist.client.InteractiveClient.parse(InteractiveClient.java:1369)
        at org.exist.client.InteractiveClient.processCommandLineActions(InteractiveClient.java:1869)
        at org.exist.client.InteractiveClient.run(InteractiveClient.java:2080)
        at org.exist.client.InteractiveClient.main(InteractiveClient.java:220)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
        at org.exist.start.Main.invokeMain(Main.java:119)
        at org.exist.start.Main.run(Main.java:375)
        at org.exist.start.Main.main(Main.java:48)


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Power Architecture Resource Center: Free content, downloads, discussions,
and more. http://solutions.newsforge.com/ibmarch.tmpl
_______________________________________________
Exist-open mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/exist-open
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Server returned HTTP response code

Michael Beddow-2
Chris Tomlinson wrote:

[...]

>  bin/client.sh -s -u tbrc -P tbrc -c /db/tbrc/places -p
/usr/local/migration-data/xml/places/content
>  < /dev/null > /dev/null
> ---------
>
> Loading mime table from file /usr/local/X/mime-types.xml
> org.xmldb.api.base.XMLDBException: Server returned HTTP response code: 500
> for URL: http://localhost:9080/exist/xmlrpc

Do you have a Tomcat log for the same events (plus ideally the eXist error
messages taken from the eXist log, rather than the console, because in the
log they are timestamped and so can be collated against the Tomcat entries)?

Michael Beddow



-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Power Architecture Resource Center: Free content, downloads, discussions,
and more. http://solutions.newsforge.com/ibmarch.tmpl
_______________________________________________
Exist-open mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/exist-open
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Server returned HTTP response code

Chris Tomlinson-2
Hi Michael,

Unfortunately I didn't save the eXist log prior to deleting and restarting. However, here is the error that was being generated in tomcat:

2005-10-16 23:11:57 StandardWrapperValve[org.exist.xmlrpc.RpcServlet]: Servlet.service() for servlet org.exist.xmlrpc.RpcServlet threw exception
org.apache.xmlrpc.ParseFailed: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
        at org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcRequestProcessor.processRequest(XmlRpcRequestProcessor.java:115)
        at org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcWorker.execute(XmlRpcWorker.java:182)
        at org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcServer.execute(XmlRpcServer.java:151)
        at org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcServer.execute(XmlRpcServer.java:139)
        at org.exist.xmlrpc.RpcServlet.doPost(RpcServlet.java:39)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:709)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:802)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:237)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:157)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:214)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:104)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:520)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invokeInternal(StandardContextValve.java:198)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:152)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:104)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:520)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:137)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:104)
        at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:118)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:102)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:520)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:104)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:520)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:929)
        at org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:160)
        at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:799)
        at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:705)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:577)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:683)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

There were actually two different collections that generated the above error. In each case it was repeatable across restarts of tomcat/eXist.

After I deleted the exist image in tomcat/webapps and restarted all collections loaded without problems. I made no changes other than to delete and restart.

Thanks,
Chris

>Chris Tomlinson wrote:
>
>[...]
>
>>  bin/client.sh -s -u tbrc -P tbrc -c /db/tbrc/places -p
>/usr/local/migration-data/xml/places/content
>>  < /dev/null > /dev/null
>> ---------
>>
>> Loading mime table from file /usr/local/X/mime-types.xml
>> org.xmldb.api.base.XMLDBException: Server returned HTTP response code: 500
>> for URL: http://localhost:9080/exist/xmlrpc
>
>Do you have a Tomcat log for the same events (plus ideally the eXist error
>messages taken from the eXist log, rather than the console, because in the
>log they are timestamped and so can be collated against the Tomcat entries)?
>
>Michael Beddow
>
>
>
>-------------------------------------------------------
>This SF.Net email is sponsored by:
>Power Architecture Resource Center: Free content, downloads, discussions,
>and more. http://solutions.newsforge.com/ibmarch.tmpl
>_______________________________________________
>Exist-open mailing list
>[hidden email]
>https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/exist-open


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Power Architecture Resource Center: Free content, downloads, discussions,
and more. http://solutions.newsforge.com/ibmarch.tmpl
_______________________________________________
Exist-open mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/exist-open
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Server returned HTTP response code

Michael Beddow-2
Chris,

> Unfortunately I didn't save the eXist log prior to deleting and
restarting.

Maybe someone else can see more of a clue here, but it looks to me as though
for some reason the client had stopped sending data to the server, which
then timed out, ultimately causing it to return the 500 error you reported
earlier from the console display. The problem is, the logs of client
activity that might take that trail further have been deleted. I'm afraid
all I can suggest is wait for the to happen again (or try to provoke it) but
this time retain as much evidence as possible.

Michael Beddow



-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Power Architecture Resource Center: Free content, downloads, discussions,
and more. http://solutions.newsforge.com/ibmarch.tmpl
_______________________________________________
Exist-open mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/exist-open
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Server returned HTTP response code

Chris Tomlinson-2
Michael,

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll try to have more presence of mind late at night if this anomaly happens again.

ciao,
Chris

>Chris,
>
>> Unfortunately I didn't save the eXist log prior to deleting and
>restarting.
>
>Maybe someone else can see more of a clue here, but it looks to me as though
>for some reason the client had stopped sending data to the server, which
>then timed out, ultimately causing it to return the 500 error you reported
>earlier from the console display. The problem is, the logs of client
>activity that might take that trail further have been deleted. I'm afraid
>all I can suggest is wait for the to happen again (or try to provoke it) but
>this time retain as much evidence as possible.
>
>Michael Beddow
>
>
>
>-------------------------------------------------------
>This SF.Net email is sponsored by:
>Power Architecture Resource Center: Free content, downloads, discussions,
>and more. http://solutions.newsforge.com/ibmarch.tmpl
>_______________________________________________
>Exist-open mailing list
>[hidden email]
>https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/exist-open


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by:
Power Architecture Resource Center: Free content, downloads, discussions,
and more. http://solutions.newsforge.com/ibmarch.tmpl
_______________________________________________
Exist-open mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/exist-open