Undeploy old xar version before deploying new, or not?

Undeploy old xar version before deploying new, or not?

Martin Holmes
I have some eXist apps which are fairly large (up to 1.5GB), and they
take a while to deploy. In the past, I've always removed the old version
of a XAR before deploying a new version, thinking that it's a good way
to ensure that no obsolete files get left behind. But I don't know
whether there's any purpose to this or not. With very large XARs, it can
take a long time, and I don't know if it's worth it.

Am I wasting my time?

Cheers,
Martin

Re: Undeploy old xar version before deploying new, or not?

Joe Wicentowski
Hi Martin,

Installing a .xar over an existing one does delete the old one first
before installing.

Joe

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 4:38 PM, Martin Holmes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have some eXist apps which are fairly large (up to 1.5GB), and they
> take a while to deploy. In the past, I've always removed the old version
> of a XAR before deploying a new version, thinking that it's a good way
> to ensure that no obsolete files get left behind. But I don't know
> whether there's any purpose to this or not. With very large XARs, it can
> take a long time, and I don't know if it's worth it.
>
> Am I wasting my time?
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

Re: Undeploy old xar version before deploying new, or not?

Jonathan Rowell

Hi Joe,

Yes, but doesn't it leave the old package unpacked in the expathrepo directory? Or has this been fixed?

Jonathan

Installing a .xar over an existing one does delete the old one first
before installing.

Joe

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 4:38 PM, Martin Holmes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have some eXist apps which are fairly large (up to 1.5GB), and they
> take a while to deploy. In the past, I've always removed the old version
> of a XAR before deploying a new version, thinking that it's a good way
> to ensure that no obsolete files get left behind. But I don't know
> whether there's any purpose to this or not. With very large XARs, it can
> take a long time, and I don't know if it's worth it.
>
> Am I wasting my time?
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

lists.sourceforge.net
Your email address: Your name (optional): You may enter a privacy password below. This provides only mild security, but should prevent others from messing with ...

Re: Undeploy old xar version before deploying new, or not?

Martin Holmes
Thanks Joe for the clarification. I'll test this out and see if there
are any differences in time, and whether anything unwanted is left in
the expathrepo.

Cheers,
Martin