XProc in 3.0 stable

Welblaud

Hi all again,

Besides FOP 2.1 XProc was the thing I was looking forward in the stable version.

I have just tried the example provided on GitHub.

This exact code:

xquery version "3.0";

import module namespace xproc="http://exist-db.org/xproc";

let $simple-xproc as document-node() := document {
    \<p:declare-step xmlns:p="http://www.w3.org/ns/xproc" version="1.0">
            \<p:input port="source">
                    \<p:inline>
                            \<doc>Hello world!\</doc>
                    \</p:inline>
            \</p:input>
            \<p:output port="result"/>
            \<p:identity/>
    \</p:declare-step>
}

return
    xproc:process($simple-xproc)

… does not work because of slashes (eXide throws slashes are unexpected chars).

When I remove slashes:

xquery version "3.0";

import module namespace xproc="http://exist-db.org/xproc";

let $simple-xproc as document-node() := document {
                            <doc>Hello world!\</doc>
}

return
    xproc:process($simple-xproc)

… it throws:

Cannot compile xquery: exerr:ERROR error found while loading module xproc: Cannot find module class from EXPath repository: org.exist.xquery.xproc.Module

I thought it should be ready and working in 3.0 stable according to this issue but it seems it is somewhere in the void, isn’t it?

I am pretty sure I installed the XProc package via Package Manager and restarted eXist.

Best, Honza

Re: XProc in 3.0 stable

Adam Retter
Hi Honza,

I think the XProc module via the Package Manager is likely not the XML
Calabash one.

You would need to build and install the XML Calabash one from source
code. Basically:

1) drop the jar in $EXIST_HOME/lib/user
2) add the definition to the xquery modules section of
$EXIST_HOME/conf.xml - <module
class="org.exist.xquery.modules.xmlcalabash.XMLCalabashModule"
uri="http://xmlcalabash.com" />

3) restart eXist-db

On 1 March 2017 at 12:42, Honza Hejzl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all again,
>
> Besides FOP 2.1 XProc was the thing I was looking forward in the stable
> version.
>
> I have just tried the example provided on GitHub.
>
> This exact code:
>
> xquery version "3.0";
>
> import module namespace xproc="http://exist-db.org/xproc";
>
> let $simple-xproc as document-node() := document {
>     \<p:declare-step xmlns:p="http://www.w3.org/ns/xproc" version="1.0">
>             \<p:input port="source">
>                     \<p:inline>
>                             \<doc>Hello world!\</doc>
>                     \</p:inline>
>             \</p:input>
>             \<p:output port="result"/>
>             \<p:identity/>
>     \</p:declare-step>
> }
>
> return
>     xproc:process($simple-xproc)
>
> … does not work because of slashes (eXide throws slashes are unexpected
> chars).
>
> When I remove slashes:
>
> xquery version "3.0";
>
> import module namespace xproc="http://exist-db.org/xproc";
>
> let $simple-xproc as document-node() := document {
>                             <doc>Hello world!\</doc>
> }
>
> return
>     xproc:process($simple-xproc)
>
> … it throws:
>
> Cannot compile xquery: exerr:ERROR error found while loading module xproc:
> Cannot find module class from EXPath repository:
> org.exist.xquery.xproc.Module
>
> I thought it should be ready and working in 3.0 stable according to this
> issue but it seems it is somewhere in the void, isn’t it?
>
> I am pretty sure I installed the XProc package via Package Manager and
> restarted eXist.
>
> Best, Honza

Re: XProc in 3.0 stable

Loren Cahlander
Hello Adam,

The XProc module at https://github.com/eXist-db/eXist-XMLCalabash is calabash.  I was prepared for 3.0, but never finished.  Someone else can fork it and finish the changeover.  I do not have the time right now to do it.

Regards,
Loren

On Mar 1, 2017, at 3:10 PM, Adam Retter <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Okay I took a few moments to bring the XML Calabash XProc module for
eXist up to date with regards eXist 3.0, the latest code is here -
https://github.com/eXist-db/xquery-xproc-xmlcalabash-module

I have also uploaded version 0.9 to the public app repo, so you should
see it now from the package manager in the Dashboard.

On 1 March 2017 at 20:10, Adam Retter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Honza,
>
> I think the XProc module via the Package Manager is likely not the XML
> Calabash one.
>
> You would need to build and install the XML Calabash one from source
> code. Basically:
>
> 1) drop the jar in $EXIST_HOME/lib/user
> 2) add the definition to the xquery modules section of
> $EXIST_HOME/conf.xml - <module
> class="org.exist.xquery.modules.xmlcalabash.XMLCalabashModule"
> uri="http://xmlcalabash.com" />
>

> 3) restart eXist-db
>
> On 1 March 2017 at 12:42, Honza Hejzl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all again,
>>
>> Besides FOP 2.1 XProc was the thing I was looking forward in the stable
>> version.
>>
>> I have just tried the example provided on GitHub.
>>
>> This exact code:
>>
>> xquery version "3.0";
>>
>> import module namespace xproc="http://exist-db.org/xproc";
>>
>> let $simple-xproc as document-node() := document {
>>     \<p:declare-step xmlns:p="http://www.w3.org/ns/xproc" version="1.0">
>>             \<p:input port="source">
>>                     \<p:inline>
>>                             \<doc>Hello world!\</doc>
>>                     \</p:inline>
>>             \</p:input>
>>             \<p:output port="result"/>
>>             \<p:identity/>
>>     \</p:declare-step>
>> }
>>
>> return
>>     xproc:process($simple-xproc)
>>
>> … does not work because of slashes (eXide throws slashes are unexpected
>> chars).
>>
>> When I remove slashes:
>>
>> xquery version "3.0";
>>
>> import module namespace xproc="http://exist-db.org/xproc";
>>
>> let $simple-xproc as document-node() := document {
>>                             <doc>Hello world!\</doc>
>> }
>>
>> return
>>     xproc:process($simple-xproc)
>>
>> … it throws:
>>
>> Cannot compile xquery: exerr:ERROR error found while loading module xproc:
>> Cannot find module class from EXPath repository:
>> org.exist.xquery.xproc.Module
>>
>> I thought it should be ready and working in 3.0 stable according to this
>> issue but it seems it is somewhere in the void, isn’t it?
>>
>> I am pretty sure I installed the XProc package via Package Manager and
>> restarted eXist.
>>
>> Best, Honza

> Adam Retter
>
> eXist Developer
> { United Kingdom }
> [hidden email]
> irc://irc.freenode.net/existdb

Re: XProc in 3.0 stable

Welblaud
Thanks a lot! I will test it and let you know!

Honza

> [...]

>>     xproc:process($simple-xproc)
>>
>> … does not work because of slashes (eXide throws slashes are unexpected
>> chars).
>>
>> When I remove slashes:
>>
>> xquery version "3.0";
>>
>> import module namespace xproc="http://exist-db.org/xproc";
>>
>> let $simple-xproc as document-node() := document {
>>                             <doc>Hello world!\</doc>
>> }
>>
>> return
>>     xproc:process($simple-xproc)
>>
>> … it throws:
>>
>> Cannot compile xquery: exerr:ERROR error found while loading module xproc:
>> Cannot find module class from EXPath repository:
>> org.exist.xquery.xproc.Module
>>
>> I thought it should be ready and working in 3.0 stable according to this
>> issue but it seems it is somewhere in the void, isn’t it?
>>
>> I am pretty sure I installed the XProc package via Package Manager and

Hi Adam,

For now, I can confirm the very basic example provided on the GitHub repo page works!

Thank you very much! This could be the only missing piece into my scenario puzzle :)

Honza

> [...]

>>     xproc:process($simple-xproc)
>>
>> … does not work because of slashes (eXide throws slashes are unexpected
>> chars).
>>
>> When I remove slashes:
>>
>> xquery version "3.0";
>>
>> import module namespace xproc="http://exist-db.org/xproc";
>>
>> let $simple-xproc as document-node() := document {
>>                             <doc>Hello world!\</doc>
>> }
>>
>> return
>>     xproc:process($simple-xproc)
>>
>> … it throws:
>>
>> Cannot compile xquery: exerr:ERROR error found while loading module xproc:
>> Cannot find module class from EXPath repository:
>> org.exist.xquery.xproc.Module
>>
>> I thought it should be ready and working in 3.0 stable according to this
>> issue but it seems it is somewhere in the void, isn’t it?
>>
>> I am pretty sure I installed the XProc package via Package Manager and

Okay thanks Honza, I cannot make any promises about how useful or
capable the integration is, as I only did basic testing to ensure it
compiled and worked with eXist-db. Any problems with it, then please
open an issue on its Github -

On 6 March 2017 at 14:49, Honza Hejzl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Adam,
>
> For now, I can confirm the very basic example provided on the GitHub repo
> page works!
>
> Thank you very much! This could be the only missing piece into my scenario
> puzzle :)
>
> Honza

>> Okay I took a few moments to bring the XML Calabash XProc module for
>> eXist up to date with regards eXist 3.0, the latest code is here -
>> https://github.com/eXist-db/xquery-xproc-xmlcalabash-module
>>
>> I have also uploaded version 0.9 to the public app repo, so you should
>> see it now from the package manager in the Dashboard.
>>
>> On 1 March 2017 at 20:10, Adam Retter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi Honza,
>> >
>> > I think the XProc module via the Package Manager is likely not the XML
>> > Calabash one.
>> >
>> > You would need to build and install the XML Calabash one from source
>> > code. Basically:
>> >
>> > 1) drop the jar in $EXIST_HOME/lib/user
>> > 2) add the definition to the xquery modules section of
>> > $EXIST_HOME/conf.xml - <module
>> > class="org.exist.xquery.modules.xmlcalabash.XMLCalabashModule"
>> > uri="http://xmlcalabash.com" />
>> >

>> > 3) restart eXist-db

>> > --
>> > Adam Retter
>> >
>> > eXist Developer
>> > { United Kingdom }
>> > [hidden email]
>> > irc://irc.freenode.net/existdb
>>

>> --
>> Adam Retter
>>
>> eXist Developer
>> { United Kingdom }
>> [hidden email]
>> irc://irc.freenode.net/existdb

Re: XProc in 3.0 stable

Ari Nordström
Hi Adam,

Thanks for doing this. Does this mean that I can use the latest Calabash JAR rather than having to settle for a specific built-in version as is the case for the other XProc app?

Thanks,

/Ari

On 6 March 2017 at 17:37, Adam Retter <[hidden email]> wrote:
Okay thanks Honza, I cannot make any promises about how useful or
capable the integration is, as I only did basic testing to ensure it
compiled and worked with eXist-db. Any problems with it, then please
open an issue on its Github -
https://github.com/eXist-db/xquery-xproc-xmlcalabash-module

On 6 March 2017 at 14:49, Honza Hejzl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> For now, I can confirm the very basic example provided on the GitHub repo
> page works!
>
> Thank you very much! This could be the only missing piece into my scenario
> puzzle :)
>
> Honza

>> Okay I took a few moments to bring the XML Calabash XProc module for
>> eXist up to date with regards eXist 3.0, the latest code is here -
>> https://github.com/eXist-db/xquery-xproc-xmlcalabash-module
>>
>> I have also uploaded version 0.9 to the public app repo, so you should
>> see it now from the package manager in the Dashboard.
>>
>> On 1 March 2017 at 20:10, Adam Retter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi Honza,
>> >
>> > I think the XProc module via the Package Manager is likely not the XML
>> > Calabash one.
>> >
>> > You would need to build and install the XML Calabash one from source
>> > code. Basically:
>> >
>> > 1) drop the jar in $EXIST_HOME/lib/user
>> > 2) add the definition to the xquery modules section of
>> > $EXIST_HOME/conf.xml - <module
>> > class="org.exist.xquery.modules.xmlcalabash.XMLCalabashModule"
>> > uri="http://xmlcalabash.com" />
>> >

>> > 3) restart eXist-db

>> > --
>> > Adam Retter
>> >
>> > eXist Developer
>> > { United Kingdom }
>> > [hidden email]
>> > irc://irc.freenode.net/existdb
>>

>> --
>> Adam Retter
>>
>> eXist Developer
>> { United Kingdom }
>> [hidden email]
>> irc://irc.freenode.net/existdb

Re: XProc in 3.0 stable

Adam Retter
It ships with the latest calabash jar embedded