db or not db: The many names of eXist

Is there a style guide explaining the usage of the various names of eXist?  If I were to attempt to describe the usage as I see it, it would be:

- eXist is an open source XML database project launched by Wolfgang Meier in 2001. In the years since, this project's name has acquired several conventional, widely used and accepted variants. The variants fall into two categories: variant renderings of "eXist," and variants of a "db" suffix.

- The preferred spelling for eXist uses a lower case "e", followed by an upper case "x." This unusual convention signals the project's deep relationship to the XML standard, whose acronym derives its "x" from the word "extensible," often rendered as "eXtensible." eXist is not alone in adopting this rendering; e.g., oXygen and RenderX. Naturally, in case-insensitive or lower-case-oriented contexts, such as URLs, the "x" is lower-cased; e.g., "exist-open" (the project's official mailing list). In edited prose sentences about the project, authors typically avoid using it as the first word in a sentence, because "EXist" is awkward; for a similar phenomenon, look no further than "iPhone."

- Many renderings also include a "db" or "DB" suffix, which signals eXist's primary function as a database and differentiates it from other projects or contexts that might also use the very common word, "exist." Several variants of the suffix co-exist in the community, with different approaches to case and suffix delimiter; e.g., "exist-db.org" (the domain name), "eXist-db" (the project's GitHub organization), "eXistdb" (the current stylized project logo; the previous one was "eXist"), and "eXistDB" (in the title of a recent post on the project's developer blog). The

- The suffixed and unsuffixed forms are often used in the same breath. In speech or presentations, the "db" is often dropped once the context has been established, suggesting that "eXist-db" (or "db" variant thereof) is the formal name and "eXist" is the short-hand, informal name. The project's GitHub repository suggests a similar hierarchy: in "github.com/eXist-db/exist", "eXist-db" is the organization name and "exist" is the repository where the core piece of software lives.

- Of the suffixed variants, the hyphen is optional. The most commonly used rendering in eXist applications and documentation is "eXist-db" (a hyphen delimiting the lower-cased suffix "db"). In hyphen-averse contexts, such as Twitter hashtags, we see "eXistdb," "eXistDB," or "existdb" (rarely, if even eXist-DB, since the upper cased "db" sufficiently distinguishes the suffix, rendering the hyphen unnecessary). Other projects with "db" suffixes do not use a hyphen; e.g., CouchDB and MongoDB, which are also colloquially referred to without their suffix once the context has been established. Perhaps because of avoiding naming collisions in hyphen-averse contexts and the desire to work toward a version that works in all contexts, the hyphen-less suffix has been increasingly used in the eXist community, but not exclusively.

- While perhaps pleasing to the pedant, adopting a single standard would involve tradeoffs and a major effort, with arguably marginal benefit. Choosing the unhyphenated, "db"-suffixed "eXistdb" suitable for Twitter hashtags would mean changing the domain name (exist-db.org) and GitHub repository (exist). That said, within a single work, it is possible to adopt a standard. A recent print publication used "eXist" exclusively (see Siegel and Retter, eXist, O'Reilly Press, 2014); the "-db" suffix appears only in URLs referencing the exist-db.org domain or the GitHub repository. The unsuffixed variant, by saving 2-3 characters and the variants thereof, is certainly economical. In speeches and presentations, titles often use "eXist-db," then drop the suffix. That said, all variants above are used commonly and interchangeably across the eXist community.

Are there any other nuances that should be captured in such a statement?

Re: db or not db: The many names of eXist

Joern Turner-4
Joe,

we also discussed that issue quite some time ago and came to the conclusion that 'eXistdb' should be the official spelling. I see no problem using that in  a text even at the start of a sentence - it's a name right? You'll never write IPhone either. A name is a name and should never change in spelling.

One reason to keep the 'db' in 'eXistdb' is that otherwise it' s not searchable at all. In this respect 'exist' was an unlucky choice in the beginning but we can't do much about that any more.

However - and that's the problem - it's hard to change all the places where different spellings occur like eXist-db or just exist or whatever. Especially in domain names it's not changed that quickly and you always have to make sure the old spelling still work.

It will take a while to make these changes and we've already started here and there but i fear we still have to live with the different spellings for a while. Nevertheless IMO we should do the change - it's a brand and that should never occur in different variants.

Just speaking for me i have get used to using 'eXistdb' now and always use that even if there might be an 'established context'. It's definitely hard to google things if people switch to just 'exist' or 'eXist' and that's certainly also true for presentations and othere documents.

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 5:16 PM, Joe Wicentowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

[...]

Dannes Wessels-3
Many people use eXist-db because it is readable. Otherwise it would become eXistDB

I will never use eXistdb, I find this too unclear. But we have discussed this before with you, many of us would stick to eXist-db

Regards

www.exist-db.org