develop app needs running exist?

Eduard Drenth
Am I correct that I need a running exist if I want to develop an exist app?

When exist isn't running I do not see my app files.

Eduard Drenth, Software Architekt

[hidden email]

Doelestrjitte 8
8911 DX  Ljouwert
+31 58 234 30 47

gpg: https://sks-keyservers.net/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x065EF82A1E02CC43

Re: develop app needs running exist?

Joe Wicentowski
Eduard,

I'm not following you. Could you expand what you mean by "do not see app files"?

Joe

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 3:29 AM Eduard Drenth <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am I correct that I need a running exist if I want to develop an exist app?

When exist isn't running I do not see my app files.

Eduard Drenth, Software Architekt

[hidden email]

Doelestrjitte 8
8911 DX  Ljouwert
+31 58 234 30 47

gpg: https://sks-keyservers.net/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x065EF82A1E02CC43

Sent from my iPhone

Re: develop app needs running exist?

Eduard Drenth

In the folder webapp/WEB-INF/data/fs/db/apps/tdb I see 3 files: controller, post-install and pre-install

Only when I start exist and go to the collection browser, or when I mount db via webdav I see in db/apps/tdb a lot more files of the app

So I need to start exist in order to be able to develop, maybe I miss something

regards,

Eduard Drenth, Software Architekt

[hidden email]

Doelestrjitte 8

8911 DX  Ljouwert

+31 58 234 30 47

gpg: https://sks-keyservers.net/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x065EF82A1E02CC43

Re: develop app needs running exist?

Joe Wicentowski
Hi Eduard,

The EXIST_HOME/webapp/WEB-INF/data/fs directory only contains binary files, not XML documents.  So that directory will only ever show you partial contents of the database.  Moreover, keep in mind the following exhortation from the eXist book (p. 76):

> Whilst eXist does indeed store the contents of your binary documents as a series of files on disk, you should not manually change the files in the $EXIST_HOME/webapp/WEB-INF/data/fs folder, as eXist will be unaware of the changes that you have made. Any changes to this folder could cause the database to lose integrity for binary resources and could lead to stability issues.

The collection browser and webdav shares will only be accessible when eXist is running.

So, to answer your question, yes, typically during development, you'll want to have eXist open.  There are, I think, two approaches to developing eXist apps:

1. Work on the live database, and use eXist's system backup facility or some other synchronization mechanism to get your files out of the database and back onto your file system, e.g., to get your files into source control. This is most natural when using eXide (see the Application menu's Synchronize command to sync to disk). But it also works if you have a WebDAV-aware XQuery editor like oXygen.

2. Work on disk, and sync to the database. This is most natural when using Atom with the atom-existdb package (see https://github.com/wolfgangmm/atom-existdb, especially https://github.com/wolfgangmm/atom-existdb#automatic-sync). But it also works if you have some convenient mechanism for uploading files from your editor to eXist, e.g., an External Tool command in oXygen like https://github.com/HistoryAtState/hsg-project/blob/master/hsg-project.xpr#L111-L142.

Joe

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 9:29 AM, Eduard Drenth <[hidden email]> wrote:

In the folder webapp/WEB-INF/data/fs/db/apps/tdb I see 3 files: controller, post-install and pre-install

Only when I start exist and go to the collection browser, or when I mount db via webdav I see in db/apps/tdb a lot more files of the app

So I need to start exist in order to be able to develop, maybe I miss something

regards,

Eduard Drenth, Software Architekt

[hidden email]

Doelestrjitte 8

8911 DX  Ljouwert

+31 58 234 30 47

gpg: https://sks-keyservers.net/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x065EF82A1E02CC43

Re: develop app needs running exist?

Eduard Drenth

Thanks again for clarification, I'll ake a look at the scenarios and decide our approach (probably the second, becasue it connects better to the lifecycle I prefer: develop, unit test, deploy, functional test, etc. in well separated steps). Also I will take a look at the book.

On 24 Mar 2017, at 14:29 , Eduard Drenth <[hidden email]> wrote:

In the folder webapp/WEB-INF/data/fs/db/apps/tdb I see 3 files: controller, post-install and pre-install

ah, ok that makes your question a bit more clear. as @joe wrote, you should not interfere with everything under data/fs ; I remember we have documented this clearly. These are internal eXist-db files, it should indeed be better if files and data would be less readable and recognisable.

You should only interact using the exist-db APIs via HTTP.

cheers