eXist Community Call (Test Run): Tue. Feb. 21

eXist Community Call (Test Run): Tue. Feb. 21

Please join us for an eXist Community Call tomorrow, Tue. Feb. 21,
19:00-20:00 UTC.

The idea behind this "community call" is to supplement the
text-oriented mailing lists (exist-open & exist-development), the
issue tracker, and HipChat room with a talk-oriented forum for
presenting ideas and discussing important questions in the eXist
community.

The first meeting will be about how best to build on the *amazing* 3.0 release:

1. Can we put out a quick new release to fix some bugs and technical
problems surrounding the release's version numbers, and incorporate
features contributed just around the time of the 3.0 release?

2. What could we do to step up the pace of full releases to get bug
fixes and new features into the hands of users faster, to foster the
virtuous cycle of contributions?  What bottlenecks or other factors
should we address to try to make this a reality?

3. How can the eXist community (users + developers) help?  Help each
other, help new users and new contributors, help facilitate the hard
work the core developers put into eXist?

The agenda for the call is open and editable - please take a look and
feel free to add to it:

  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XkUvvsdU1Xqea9aay1_VIzwzmzRqXaJgcN_PjEgSD_o/edit?usp=sharing

A few other notes:

- The link for joining the call via GoToMeeting is at the top of the
Google doc.
- While there's already a fairly full agenda, you are also welcome to
add ideas for future meetings (see the "Ideas for future calls"
portion of the Agenda.
- If you plan to attend, please add your name to the "Attend" section
of the document. If you aren't able to attend but wish you could've,
please add your name to the "Regrets" section of the document.
- I hope we can do once a month, if not more frequently.

Hope you can join us!  We'll see how this goes!

Re: eXist Community Call (Test Run): Tue. Feb. 21

Marcel Schaeben
Hi,

can’t attend unfortunately, but this is an excellent idea and I’m happy to see a conscious effort to make all aspects of the development process more open and involve the community.

Keep it up!

Cheers
Marcel

> On 21 Feb 2017, at 05:28, Joe Wicentowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Please join us for an eXist Community Call tomorrow, Tue. Feb. 21,
> 19:00-20:00 UTC.
>
> The idea behind this "community call" is to supplement the
> text-oriented mailing lists (exist-open & exist-development), the
> issue tracker, and HipChat room with a talk-oriented forum for
> presenting ideas and discussing important questions in the eXist
> community.
>
> The first meeting will be about how best to build on the *amazing* 3.0 release:
>
> 1. Can we put out a quick new release to fix some bugs and technical
> problems surrounding the release's version numbers, and incorporate
> features contributed just around the time of the 3.0 release?
>
> 2. What could we do to step up the pace of full releases to get bug
> fixes and new features into the hands of users faster, to foster the
> virtuous cycle of contributions?  What bottlenecks or other factors
> should we address to try to make this a reality?
>
> 3. How can the eXist community (users + developers) help?  Help each
> other, help new users and new contributors, help facilitate the hard
> work the core developers put into eXist?
>
> The agenda for the call is open and editable - please take a look and
> feel free to add to it:
>
>  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XkUvvsdU1Xqea9aay1_VIzwzmzRqXaJgcN_PjEgSD_o/edit?usp=sharing
>
> A few other notes:
>
> - The link for joining the call via GoToMeeting is at the top of the
> Google doc.
> - While there's already a fairly full agenda, you are also welcome to
> add ideas for future meetings (see the "Ideas for future calls"
> portion of the Agenda.
> - If you plan to attend, please add your name to the "Attend" section
> of the document. If you aren't able to attend but wish you could've,
> please add your name to the "Regrets" section of the document.
> - I hope we can do once a month, if not more frequently.
>
> Hope you can join us!  We'll see how this goes!
>
> Joe

Re: eXist Community Call (Test Run): Tue. Feb. 21

Thanks to everyone who was able to attend the first Community Call yesterday, despite the short notice.  I think everyone joined the call successfully, but please let us know if you encountered any road blocks and were not able to join.

As the notes convey, the call focused on technical issues, namely, updating eXist's versioning and release procedures in order to deliver new versions of eXist that fix bugs and add new features out to the community more regularly.  The immediate goal is to release a new version, 3.1, in two weeks.  Adam and Dmitriy are going to work on capturing versioning and release practices in a document to help users and developers understand the new procedures, which they'll circulate for discussion.  At the same time, but not holding back the 3.1 release, the group discussed additional ideas for facilitating regular releases.  Wolfgang and Leif-Jöran discussed creating an integrated test suites covering the eXist core, extensions, and applications using a Jenkins server.  And Adam discussed a plan for allowing developers to evaluate the impact and benefit of "Mavenizing" eXist - adapting eXist to use Maven, a build manager for Java projects.

The group asked to have another Community Call next week focused on confirming these resolutions and checking in on progress toward 3.1.  We will continue focusing the Community Call on the 3.1 release as long as it is useful, and once it's out we'll return to the many great ideas posted for future meetings.  Please contact me if you'd be interested in demoing an eXist app, extension, or feature you're working on at a future meeting.

We'll have the next call Monday, February 27, 2017 19:00-20:00 UTC (11am US Pacific, 2pm US Eastern, 7pm UK, 8pm CET).  Please add your agenda items to the Google Doc:

This and last week's notes are now in a shared folder on Google Drive - so you can find them all in one place:

Joe

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 11:28 PM, Joe Wicentowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

[...]

Joe Wicentowski
Let me sent the correct link to the new Google doc for next week's Community Call:

We'll have the next call Monday, February 27, 2017 19:00-20:00 UTC (11am US Pacific, 2pm US Eastern, 7pm UK, 8pm CET).  Please add your agenda items to the Google Doc:

This and last week's notes are now in a shared folder on Google Drive - so you can find them all in one place:

Re: eXist Community Call (Test Run): Tue. Feb. 21

Grant MacKenzie
As a user of eXist I want to thank Joe for initiating and doing this.
The issues outlined  in the community call notes are well thought out
and considered.

There are many points I would like to throw in my 2 cents worth, but
not sure about where to throw them the community call process.

Would it be good to establish each point as a GitHub issue labeled
'discuss' so we could discuss them there?
e.g. https://github.com/eXist-db/exist/issues/67 is already a 'code
convention issue'
and we could add your discussion point there. as part of the conversation.

To the issue  mentioned
> Also, is the GitFlow model really helping improve the quality of PRs to justify the learning curve?
> Might a more flexible approach encourage PRs without sacrificing quality?

I would just like to say, for mere mortals Git-Flow borders on the arcane.

For open-source collaboration projects stuff like 'improving
documentation'  should be as simple as
- open an issue on GitHub  [ a place for comments about a topic ]
- create a private branch of master, that refers to the issue number
- work on the private branch to resolve the issue,
- create a pull-request on GitHub - based on the issue number [ a
place for comments about a resolution of an issue ]
- someone responsible for 'documentation` review and approve the pull request
- merge the pull-request back into master.
- close the issue

This is the GitHub-flow way of doing this and I suggest would
encourage more participation.

> Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 09:56:55 -0500
> From: Joe Wicentowski <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Exist-open] eXist Community Call (Test Run): Tue. Feb.
>         21
> To: "[hidden email]"
>         <[hidden email]>
>
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks to everyone who was able to attend the first Community
> Call yesterday, despite the short notice.  I think everyone joined the call
> successfully, but please let us know if you encountered any road blocks and
> were not able to join.
>
> As the notes convey, the call focused on technical issues, namely, updating
> eXist's versioning and release procedures in order to deliver new versions
> of eXist that fix bugs and add new features out to the community more
> regularly.  The immediate goal is to release a new version, 3.1, in two
> weeks.  Adam and Dmitriy are going to work on capturing versioning and
> release practices in a document to help users and developers understand the
> new procedures, which they'll circulate for discussion.  At the same time,
> but not holding back the 3.1 release, the group discussed additional ideas
> for facilitating regular releases.  Wolfgang and Leif-J?ran discussed
> creating an integrated test suites covering the eXist core, extensions, and
> applications using a Jenkins server.  And Adam discussed a plan for
> allowing developers to evaluate the impact and benefit of "Mavenizing"
> eXist - adapting eXist to use Maven, a build manager for Java projects.
>
> The group asked to have another Community Call next week focused on
> confirming these resolutions and checking in on progress toward 3.1.  We
> will continue focusing the Community Call on the 3.1 release as long as it
> is useful, and once it's out we'll return to the many great ideas posted
> for future meetings.  Please contact me if you'd be interested in demoing
> an eXist app, extension, or feature you're working on at a future meeting.

Take Care
Grant Mackenzie

Re: eXist Community Call (Test Run): Tue. Feb. 21

Joe Wicentowski
Hi Grant,

Thanks for your kind note and encouragement!

While I wouldn't discourage anyone from filing an issue, the example
you cited (issue 67, opened in 2013, with no action since 2015) is an
example of why I think getting these topics onto the agenda of a
community call might be better at the present time.  My hope is that
we can identify factors that frustrate contributors or inhibit
progress, fold them into agendas for initial discussion, find someone
to draft proposal for ways to address the problems, and circulate
these proposals for discussion.  If we agree on a proposal, we'll try
it out and see if it helps.

The first such proposal will be Adam and Dmitriy's proposal about a
versioning scheme for eXist releases and release practices.  I think
that'll be a great first step and can clarify what eXist's version
numbers mean for the community, and how releases are managed.  Another
topic I think we might want to cover next is clarifying the role of
the issue tracker and PRs - and with that, seeing if we can simplify
the guidelines for submitting PRs to encourage contributions.

So if this process sounds promising to you I'd encourage you to add to
the topics for future calls.  (I've already added your comments about
GitFlow "bordering on the arcane" and the link to the code style guide
issue.)  We'll work through these topics in future calls and
soliciting draft proposals on them.  And always feel free to reach out
here to the group, to me off list, or others you know in the community
(or file an issue!) about what you'd like to see sorted out.