eXist authentication

Jonas Lundberg
Could someone explain how the eXist authentication works?
If I try to change the "guest" password, no part of my web application
works. (I do not want any guests in my database...)

If I try to set the "admin" password, I get an error message saying
that it is incorrect:
"org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: XMLDBException occurred:
exception while retrieving collection: invalid password for user admin
[at line 19, column 32]: org.xmldb.api.base.XMLDBException: exception
while retrieving collection: invalid password for user admin [at line
19, column 32]"

However, I set the password at line 21, and it only complains about
the mysterious line 19 if I set an incorrect admin password at line
21.
Line 21:
declare variable $collection  {xmldb:collection("xmldb:exist:///db/",
"admin", "hans")};
I then use the $collection for all my xupdates.

What is wrong here? The eXist web interface works just fine.

Hans
(it is *really* hard to find answers to questions about exist on
google. Google keeps finding other things that also exists )

Re: eXist authentication

Wolfgang Meier-2
Hi Jonas,

> Could someone explain how the eXist authentication works?
> If I try to change the "guest" password, no part of my web application
> works. (I do not want any guests in my database...)

The "guest" user is needed by the system as a fallback for some client
applications lacking proper authentication (including Cocoon's xmldb
pseudo protocol). "guest" thus cannot be changed.

However, I see the security problematic. I will try to add a
configuration option
to completely disable the guest account.