[eXist backup] Question about users/groups backup

[eXist backup] Question about users/groups backup

Ludovic Heitz
Hello eXist guys,

Reading this documentation (http://www.exist-db.org/exist/apps/doc/java-admin-client.xml?q=admin%20client&field=all&id=D2.2.5), the last sentence holds my attention:
"Please note that users and groups are defined in the database collection /db/system. This collection will thus be restored first."

Does this mean that users and groups should be stored in the __contents__.xml file of the /db/system collection in the backup output?

I executed a backup to try this, but didn't get users/groups configuration in that file.

Thanks

Ludo

Re: [eXist backup] Question about users/groups backup

Dannes Wessels-3
No,

these files are just restored first. nothing is to be changed manually.

D.

On 23 Mar 2017, at 17:25 , Ludovic Heitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

Does this mean that users and groups should be stored in the __contents__.xml file of the /db/system collection in the backup output?

I executed a backup to try this, but didn't get users/groups configuration in that file.

Re: [eXist backup] Question about users/groups backup

So users and groups are actually stored in two collections:

1. /db/system/security/<realm>/accounts
2. /db/system/security/<realm>/groups

If you are using eXist out of the box without any custom security
realms, then <realm> will be "exist".

On 23 March 2017 at 12:25, Ludovic Heitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello eXist guys,
>
> Reading this documentation
> (http://www.exist-db.org/exist/apps/doc/java-admin-client.xml?q=admin%20client&field=all&id=D2.2.5),
> the last sentence holds my attention:
> "Please note that users and groups are defined in the database collection
> /db/system. This collection will thus be restored first."
>
> Does this mean that users and groups should be stored in the
> __contents__.xml file of the /db/system collection in the backup output?
>
> I executed a backup to try this, but didn't get users/groups configuration
> in that file.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ludo

Re: [eXist backup] Question about users/groups backup

Ludovic Heitz
Hello guys,
Thanks for the answers, it seems easy but I couldn't find it.
By the way, I registered to the "exist-open" list.

Ludo

On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 3:10 PM, Adam Retter <[hidden email]> wrote:
So users and groups are actually stored in two collections:

1. /db/system/security/<realm>/accounts
2. /db/system/security/<realm>/groups

If you are using eXist out of the box without any custom security
realms, then <realm> will be "exist".

On 23 March 2017 at 12:25, Ludovic Heitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello eXist guys,
>
> Reading this documentation
> (http://www.exist-db.org/exist/apps/doc/java-admin-client.xml?q=admin%20client&field=all&id=D2.2.5),
> the last sentence holds my attention:
> "Please note that users and groups are defined in the database collection
> /db/system. This collection will thus be restored first."
>
> Does this mean that users and groups should be stored in the
> __contents__.xml file of the /db/system collection in the backup output?
>
> I executed a backup to try this, but didn't get users/groups configuration
> in that file.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ludo

Re: [eXist backup] Question about users/groups backup

Adam Retter
How did you do your backup?

On 30 March 2017 at 09:48, Ludovic Heitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello guys,
> Thanks for the answers, it seems easy but I couldn't find it.
> By the way, I registered to the "exist-open" list.
>
> Ludo
>
> On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 3:10 PM, Adam Retter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> So users and groups are actually stored in two collections:
>>
>> 1. /db/system/security/<realm>/accounts
>> 2. /db/system/security/<realm>/groups
>>
>> If you are using eXist out of the box without any custom security
>> realms, then <realm> will be "exist".
>>
>> On 23 March 2017 at 12:25, Ludovic Heitz <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hello eXist guys,
>> >
>> > Reading this documentation
>> >
>> > (http://www.exist-db.org/exist/apps/doc/java-admin-client.xml?q=admin%20client&field=all&id=D2.2.5),
>> > the last sentence holds my attention:
>> > "Please note that users and groups are defined in the database
>> > collection
>> > /db/system. This collection will thus be restored first."
>> >
>> > Does this mean that users and groups should be stored in the
>> > __contents__.xml file of the /db/system collection in the backup output?
>> >
>> > I executed a backup to try this, but didn't get users/groups
>> > configuration
>> > in that file.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Ludo

>> --
>> Adam Retter
>>
>> eXist Developer
>> { United Kingdom }
>> [hidden email]
>> irc://irc.freenode.net/existdb

Re: [eXist backup] Question about users/groups backup

Ludovic Heitz
Thank you Adam, I succesfully did my backup.
Actually, my real problem was that I didn't find these users/groups conf files, because I didn't know they were located at /db/system/security..
Once I have this information (thanks to your answer), I checked it with the "admin" account and I did see it!
Question solved to me!
Thanks again.

Ludovic