Quantcast

eXist-db 3.0: tools/wrapper/bin/exist.sh no longer there?

eXist-db 3.0: tools/wrapper/bin/exist.sh no longer there?

maarten ligtvoet
Hi,

I installed eXist from the jar at this source:
eXist-db-setup-3.0-acd0c14.jar

I'm used to starting eXist with tools/wrapper/bin/exist.sh
As per this documentation:

Is that deprecated and should I start eXist-db 3.0 differently on Linux servers?

Regards,
Maarten Ligtvoet

Re: eXist-db 3.0: tools/wrapper/bin/exist.sh no longer there?

On 15 Feb 2017, at 22:03 , maarten ligtvoet <[hidden email]> wrote:

I installed eXist from the jar at this source:
eXist-db-setup-3.0-acd0c14.jar

I'm used to starting eXist with tools/wrapper/bin/exist.sh
As per this documentation:

Is that deprecated and should I start eXist-db 3.0 differently on Linux servers?

I think we need to upload some already updated documentation. A new wrapper is now in tools/yajsw/:

- installDaemon.sh
installDaemonNoPriv.sh
queryDaemon.sh
queryDaemonNoPriv.sh
- runConsole.sh  —> handy for testing
setenv.sh
- startDaemon.sh
startDaemonNoPriv.sh
- stopDaemon.sh
stopDaemonNoPriv.sh
- uninstallDaemon.sh
uninstallDaemonNoPriv.sh

I marked the important scripts, the names should be self explanatory .

regards

Re: eXist-db 3.0: tools/wrapper/bin/exist.sh no longer there?

maarten ligtvoet
Hi Dannes,
Thanks for the instructions.

I could not get RUN_AS_USER to work properly on CentOS 6.x, so I switched to CentOS 7 which runs systemd.
I found out that the installDaemon.sh only handles the environment variable RUN_AS_USER properly when systemd is present (or so it seems to me).
(might be a nice feature for YAJSW to also add RUN_AS_USER for users not running systemd?)

Nevertheless, works fine in CentOS 7.3 like so:
sudo su -
cd tools/yajsw/bin
./installDaemon.sh
Detected systemd running.
Do you want to use it (Y=Run service with non-privileged systemd/N=continue with privileged systemV-init)? -> Y

That sets RUN_AS_USER properly so that eXist-db is not running as the root user.
Afterwards, to start eXist-db:
sudo systemctl start eXist-db

The other thing what I found that was new to me in eXist-db 3 was the ports setting which I found in:
tools/jetty/etc/jetty-http.xml
tools/jetty/etc/jetty-ssl.xml

Regards,
Maarten

On 17 Feb 2017, at 20:52 , maarten ligtvoet <[hidden email]> wrote:

I could not get RUN_AS_USER to work properly on CentOS 6.x, so I switched to CentOS 7 which runs systemd.
I found out that the installDaemon.sh only handles the environment variable RUN_AS_USER properly when systemd is present (or so it seems to me).
(might be a nice feature for YAJSW to also add RUN_AS_USER for users not running systemd?)

I had the impression that it should work okay for centos/RHEL 6.x without issues;

Maybe @LJO knows a bit more?

regards