Quantcast

eXist-db v3.0 available

Leif-Jöran Olsson-3

Re: eXist-db v3.0 available

Martin Holmes
Thanks to the whole team for this huge step forward! I'll be trying it
out today.

Cheers,
Martin

Re: eXist-db v3.0 available

Joe Wicentowski
Congratulations to the eXist developers!  There are many major
accomplishments wrapped up in this one.  The community will benefit
greatly from the many improvements to 3.0.  Many, many thanks to all
of your hard work and time crafting this release.

One question: In the release notes, you say,

> eXist-db v3.0 is not binary compatible with previous versions of eXist-db; the on-disk database file format has been updated, users should perform a full backup and restore to migrate their data.

Should users of 3.0RC1 also perform a full backup and restore?

Re: eXist-db v3.0 available

Alister Pillow-3
Excellent! Thank you.

Regards,
Alister

Re: eXist-db v3.0 available

Michael Westbay-2
Congratulations on getting 3.0 released.

I've done some porting and experimenting from 2.2 a while  back. Looks like time to go all in.

It look forward to it.

Take care.

Michael Westbay
Writer/System Administrator
http://www.japanesebaseball.com/

Re: eXist-db v3.0 available

Pietro Liuzzo
Congratulations and many thanks to all!

Pietro Maria Liuzzo
cel (DE): +49 (0) 176 61 000 606
Skype: pietro.liuzzo (Quingentole)

Re: eXist-db v3.0 available

Rc1 users should be ok. It is a statement for 2.x users.....

Regards

www.exist-db.org

> On 9 Feb 2017, at 19:49, Joe Wicentowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Should users of 3.0RC1 also perform a full backup and restore?

Re: eXist-db v3.0 available

Masoud Vakili
Congratulations to all and many thanks.

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 11:11 PM, Dannes Wessels <[hidden email]> wrote:
Rc1 users should be ok. It is a statement for 2.x users.....

Regards

www.exist-db.org

> On 9 Feb 2017, at 19:49, Joe Wicentowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Should users of 3.0RC1 also perform a full backup and restore?

Re: eXist-db v3.0 available

nsincaglia
That is very exciting news! Congratulations! I can't wait to give it try!

Nick

Re: eXist-db v3.0 available

ron.vandenbranden
Great, thanks for the hard work, I'll give eXist-3.0 a try right away!

I've noticed two details that are out-of-date:
     -the download section at the homepage
(http://exist-db.org/exist/apps/homepage/index.html#download) still list
2.2 as the "stable release"
     -the eXist version on the demo server
(http://exist-db.org/exist/apps/eXide/index.html) still identifies as "2.2"

Best,

Ron

Re: eXist-db v3.0 available

Wolfgang Meier-2
> I've noticed two details that are out-of-date:
>     -the download section at the homepage
> (http://exist-db.org/exist/apps/homepage/index.html#download) still list
> 2.2 as the "stable release"

Browser caching issue?

>     -the eXist version on the demo server
> (http://exist-db.org/exist/apps/eXide/index.html) still identifies as "2.2"

Yes, the server and some apps still need an update.

Re: eXist-db v3.0 available

ron.vandenbranden
Hi Wolfgang,

On 13/02/2017 10:33, Wolfgang Meier wrote:
>> I've noticed two details that are out-of-date:
>>      -the download section at the homepage
>> (http://exist-db.org/exist/apps/homepage/index.html#download) still list
>> 2.2 as the "stable release"
> Browser caching issue?

Ah, indeed: 3.0 it is now. Sorry, sleepy browser!

Best,

Ron

Re: eXist-db v3.0 available

RoyMacLean
Congratulations - I look forwad to using it.

One question - the Release Notes say:
"Removed the Versioning extension; will be made available as a separate app package"

Can you say when this will be available, and will it just be accessible via the Package Manager?

Thanks

Re: eXist-db v3.0 available

Adam Retter
The versioning module was removed a couple of years ago. We did this
because it was using GPLv1 code, and this caused licensing problems
when including it in the source base of eXist-db.

The code was "temporarily" moved to
https://bitbucket.org/zwobit/versioning but then sadly forgotten.

I have taken a couple of hours today to clean up that code and make it
compatible with eXist 3.0 and added the ability to produce an EXPath
Package (.xar) file. I have now republished the updated code here:
https://github.com/eXist-db/xquery-versioning-module

I have also made a binary available for you here:
http://static.adamretter.org.uk/xquery-versioning-module-1.0.xar

I am no legal expert, and this is not in any way meant as advice: From
my understanding I think that if you use that GPLv1 code as a module
(i.e. the .xar) which is loaded dynamically at runtime, then you might
not fall foul of the GPLv1 license terms (if that is an issue for
you). However the legality of use is really for you to check.

All the best. Adam.