eXist-db version 3.1.0 is out

Leif-Jöran Olsson-3

Re: eXist-db version 3.1.0 is out

Ari Nordström
Hi,

Wow, thanks for all your hard work. I guess I'll upgrade, then.

Best,

/Ari

Re: eXist-db version 3.1.0 is out

Adam Retter
Ari,

We are hoping to cut a release approximately every two months. The
idea is to have smaller more frequent releases, so that we can get
bugfixes out quicker and new features into the hands of users sooner.

Release 3.0 was a particularly large and stable release, so there is
no urgency to upgrade to 3.1.0, that being said it does have a couple
of neat improvements and new features.

All the best. Adam.

On 8 March 2017 at 08:57, Ari Nordström <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Wow, thanks for all your hard work. I guess I'll upgrade, then.
>
> Best,
>
> /Ari

Re: eXist-db version 3.1.0 is out

Ari Nordström
Well, here is me being impressed, anyway. I do want to test those new features. :-)

Thanks,

/Ari

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 4:48 AM, Adam Retter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Release 3.0 was a particularly large and stable release, so there is
> no urgency to upgrade to 3.1.0, that being said it does have a couple
> of neat improvements and new features.

Just one addendum to Adam's remarks: The upgrade from 3.0 to 3.1.0 is
highly recommended for Windows users - given the fixes to EXPath
package repository stability.  Using 3.0 under Windows, it is really
not difficult to corrupt the repository.

In addition to that, let me echo Leif-Jöran in praising the eXist team
for 3.1.0, which demonstrates the team's resolve to get new features
and fixes into the hands of the broader community much more quickly.
With a new versioning scheme and release procedures document, which
Adam drafted and which underwent significant vetting by the core
developers through the Community Call process, the eXist team has laid
the foundation for more rapid releases to benefit the community.
You'll notice that the Issue Tracker and Pull Request forms now have
templates to ensure all reports and submissions contain the
information that the team requires.  I expect there will be more such
measures taken to facilitate communication and clarify expectations
for contributors at all levels.

In sum, these developments should signal to anyone who is interested
in contributing to eXist - either through the core code, the suite of
built-in apps, or the documentation - that they can feel confident
that their contributions will be reviewed fed into new releases in
short order.

Speaking of the built-in apps, the release notes focused just on the
core, but there were some notable, if minor, changes to the built-in
apps:

- The number of apps included in the eXist 3.1.0 installer was trimmed
to remove the "demo" apps and include only the apps referenced in the
UI (eXide, monex, dashboard), the core documentation (doc, fundocs),
and the libraries required by these apps. See the list of apps and the
rationale for this change at
https://github.com/eXist-db/exist/issues/1302.
- eXist 3.1.0 includes eXide 3.2.2. See release notes at
http://demo.exist-db.org/exist/apps/public-repo/packages/eXide.html?eXist-db-min-version=3.0.0.

There's also a discussion about ways to improve eXist's documentation
- see https://github.com/eXist-db/documentation/issues/91.  Have any
ideas for what you like to see covered or improved about eXist's
documentation?  Let us know!

Re: eXist-db version 3.1.0 is out

Martin Holmes
Congratulations and thank you!

Will there be a branch on GitHub for this? Seems like either the master
branch should be brought up to 3.1, or a new 3.x release branch should
be created.

Cheers,
Martin

Re: eXist-db version 3.1.0 is out

Adam Retter
Hi Martin,

There is a Git Tag which is eXist-3.1.0.

Also, you are correct, master should reflect the latest release, so I
just advanced master to eXist-3.1.0.