eXist on Windows should not force you to provide elevated rights

eXist on Windows should not force you to provide elevated rights

Omar Siam-2
Hi list!

We work in a Windows environment here where no one is an "Administrator"
so one has to provide a second username and password to elevate
processes. This is annoying for anyone who knows such an administrative
account but some even don't know such credentials.

Now just saying no to the UAC dialog does not launch the tray icon at
all and that is very harsh reaction I think. There may be very good
reasons to install eXist-db as a service but there is actually nothing
to the best of my knowledge that keeps you from installing it in your
local home folder and use it like this without any need for elevated
privileges. For example for developing web interfaces or testing some
XQuery programs that is enough even if the data gets corrupt under some
circumstances.

The workaround right now ist to use the batch scripts in the bin folder
but that is much less convenient then the tray icon I think.

Are there any plans to make it possible in the future to run eXist-db
again as any Windows user in a restricted environment?

Best regards

Omar Siam

Re: eXist on Windows should not force you to provide elevated rights

Adam Retter
> Are there any plans to make it possible in the future to run eXist-db
> again as any Windows user in a restricted environment?

Not yet, but it seems like a reasonable idea. If you would like to
contribute such a feature, please send a pull-request on GitHub.

Re: eXist on Windows should not force you to provide elevated rights

> Are there any plans to make it possible in the future to run eXist-db
> again as any Windows user in a restricted environment?

The launcher should set a flag after having asked once if eXist-db should be installed as service and not require process elevation anymore if you answered "no". Only problem is that in order to query the service status the launcher already needs to run elevated and I could not yet find a good solution for this.

Re: eXist on Windows should not force you to provide elevated rights

Omar Siam-2
Well I have a two line patch for this which just starts the process
without elevated privileges if something happens while trying to start
it elevated.

But I think there is more to it like then removing all those context
menu items which are bound to fail if the tray process is not elevated.

Another thing is: the wrapper yajsw only returns a worked or failed
boolean when starting a process. It should provide more information like
the error code 1123 that is assigned to user rejected to elevate. So if
something else happens there should be no attempt to actually start
agaian which most probably will also fail.

Also it would be best if this is a setting start.jar somehow remembers.
Even clicking no every morning when starting ones eXist-db playground is
annoying.

Sadly I have no time for doing any serious (java) development for exist.

Best regards

Omar Siam

PS: Sorry I only answered Adam.