limited character support for resource names in .xar packages?

limited character support for resource names in .xar packages?

ron.vandenbranden
Hi,

Apologies if this has been asked before (too hurried to investigate the
ML archive fully), but when I tried to import an eXist package (in
eXist-2.1), following error was thrown:

     Failed to unpack archive: MALFORMED

Apparently, the culprit was a folder name containing an accented é:
"Musée xxx". Removing the accent solved the problem.

I've tested further, and eXist itself doesn't have a problem with a
collection called "Musée xxx" (I mean, I could create one with the Java
Admin client); only the .xar import seems to choke.

Is the character support for resource names in .xar packages limited,
and if so, what characters are un/safe?

Best,

Ron

Re: limited character support for resource names in .xar packages?

Wolfgang Meier-2
> Apparently, the culprit was a folder name containing an accented é:
> Is the character support for resource names in .xar packages limited,
> and if so, what characters are un/safe?

During deployment, the folders in the xar are unpacked to disk (into the expathrepo/ dir) and deployed from there. You should thus only use names the filesystem does cope with properly (at least for now: a redesign of the repo is planned and would fix the issue).