Quantcast

mongrel logging

mountainbiker
Hey Dannes

Running 3.1.1 with Mongrel 0.6.2.  Our Mongrel connection is to a 3 server replica set.

We are seeing loads of Mongrel logging into the exist.core (exist.log).  The messages appearing are in the format

    date time [cluster-ClusterId[value= ...

We'd like to tone this down in the log4j2 config.  What do you suggest?

During this Mongrel logging, we are also seeing a WARN   (BrokerPool.java [release]:1278) - Broker org.exist.storage.NativeBroker_exist_5 was returned with extraneous Subjects, cleaning...
java.lang.IllegalStateException: DBBroker pushSubject/popSubject mismatch ...
  Do we have a problem?

Re: mongrel logging

Adam Retter
We are seeing loads of Mongrel logging into the exist.core (exist.log).  The
messages appearing are in the format

    /date time [cluster-ClusterId[value= .../

We'd like to tone this down in the log4j2 config.  *What do you suggest?*

You just need to add a Logger and Appender. The Logger "name" should match the class or package that is emitting the log messages you are seeing.

During this Mongrel logging, we are also seeing a /WARN   (BrokerPool.java
[release]:1278) - Broker org.exist.storage.NativeBroker_exist_5 was returned
with extraneous Subjects, cleaning...
java.lang.IllegalStateException: DBBroker pushSubject/popSubject mismatch
.../  *Do we have a problem?*

Yup, that's a bug; Implies that Mongrel is not correctly using the BrokerPool.

Re: Mongrel logging (excess logging and BrokerPool issue)

mountainbiker
Adam Retter wrote
You just need to add a Logger and Appender. The Logger "name" should match
the class or package that is emitting the log messages you are seeing.
Would by chance you know the class or package of Mongrel that is emitting the logging?

Adam Retter wrote
Yup, that's a bug; Implies that Mongrel is not correctly using the BrokerPool.
I assume for a newbie that this is out of our control to rectify until a future update to the Mongrel package?  With that said, what negative impacts would we experience with Mongrel not correctly using the BrokerPool? Would you happen to know how we then could suppress this particular verbose logging?

Re: Mongrel logging (excess logging and BrokerPool issue)

Adam Retter

On 8 May 2017 at 05:34, mountainbiker <[hidden email]> wrote:
Adam Retter wrote
> You just need to add a Logger and Appender. The Logger "name" should match
> the class or package that is emitting the log messages you are seeing.

/Would by chance you know the class or package of Mongrel that is emitting
the logging?/

I am not sure as I cannot find the source code for Mongrel. It does not appear to be on http://github.com/exist-db ?

I did some Googling and I think the following log config might work for you in the log4j2.xml:

Add this to the "Appenders" element:

<RollingRandomAccessFile name="mongrel" filePattern="${logs}/mongrel.${rollover.file.pattern}.log.gz" fileName="${logs}/mongrel.log">
    <Policies>
        <SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy size="${rollover.max.size}"/>
    </Policies>
    <DefaultRolloverStrategy max="${rollover.max}"/>
    <PatternLayout pattern="${exist.file.pattern}"/>
</RollingRandomAccessFile>

Add this to the "Loggers" element:

<Logger name="org.exist.mongodb" additivity="false" level="info">
    <AppenderRef ref="mongrel"/>
</Logger>

Adam Retter wrote
> Yup, that's a bug; Implies that Mongrel is not correctly using the
> BrokerPool.

/I assume for a newbie that this is out of our control to rectify until a
future update to the Mongrel package?  With that said, what negative impacts
would we experience with Mongrel not correctly using the BrokerPool? Would
you happen to know how we then could suppress this particular verbose
logging?/

Indeed, this will require a fix and update to Mongrel. I don't really know Mongrel or how it works so I can't say too much. If mongrel uses more than just the guest user, it **might** imply that Mongrel is incorrectly performing actions as different users, i.e. some of its functionality may be executing against the database with more or less permissions than it is aiming for; eXist **tries** to guard against that by warning the caller - hence the messages you are seeing.

Re: mongrel logging

On 4 May 2017, at 15:40 , mountainbiker <[hidden email]> wrote:

During this Mongrel logging, we are also seeing a /WARN   (BrokerPool.java
[release]:1278) - Broker org.exist.storage.NativeBroker_exist_5 was returned
with extraneous Subjects, cleaning...
java.lang.IllegalStateException: DBBroker pushSubject/popSubject mismatch
.../  *Do we have a problem?*

Can you elaborate a bit on how to reproduce this warning?  I expect you store documents using the gridfs functions?

cheers

No, GridFS.  We're solely doing inserts, deletions, and very basic count queries using https://github.com/weXsol/Mongrel/wiki/MongoDB-Examples.

Re: Mongrel logging (excess logging and BrokerPool issue)

During this Mongrel logging, we are also seeing a /WARN   (BrokerPool.java
[release]:1278) - Broker org.exist.storage.NativeBroker_exist_5 was returned
with extraneous Subjects, cleaning...
java.lang.IllegalStateException: DBBroker pushSubject/popSubject mismatch
.../  *Do we have a problem?*

No, GridFS.  We're solely doing inserts, deletions, and very basic count

I really cannot reproduce that war you see……  is it in exist.log?

my logs + console output are perfectly clean, are there any other settings I should set?

cheers