novice

John.Tucker
I have installed a local-only copy of eXist on my (windows) PC.
I've loaded a couple of files into a collection and want to
set up indices.  I've made an xconf file which ought to work
but I can't figure out where to put it (there's no DB/ or
DB/SYSTEM/ or DB/SYSTEM/CONFIG folders that I
can find...)

this has to be easy, but its late on a friday afternoon.
Any suggestions?

thanks,
jt

Re: novice

Michael Beddow-2
> I have installed a local-only copy of eXist on my (windows) PC.
> I've loaded a couple of files into a collection and want to
> set up indices.  I've made an xconf file which ought to work
> but I can't figure out where to put it (there's no DB/ or
> DB/SYSTEM/ or DB/SYSTEM/CONFIG folders that I
> can find...)

1) These aren't folders in your filesystem, as you seem to think. They are
eXist collections that you have to make for yourself. Start up the java
client to do so (or you can use the admin web client if you like). You will
find underthe root collection /db a system collection. By default it will
contain a system document users.xml. plus a collection config. That config
collection will in turn contain a collection named db. It's here (i.e.
/db/system/config/db) or in further subcollection levels that you need to
put your xconf files. Any xconf file you place in /db/system/config/db will
govern all the documents you store. That's probably not what you want, so to
have collection-specific xconf files you need to mirror the structure of
your actual collection hierarchy and place the xconf file at the
corresponding place in that structure. So if you have a user collection
/db/foo/bar and you want to configure indexation for docs in collection bar
only, you need to make a  collection /db/system/config/db/foo/bar and store
an appropriate .xconf doc into it.

2) Adding or updating an xconf doc after documents have been already added
to a collection will have no effect unless you reindex your collections, or
reinsert the documents they contain either from the filestore or from a
backup. Using the backup facility is a good idea once you have configured
indexes, because the backups will contain (and restore) the relevant xconf
docs as well. This can save much grief.

3) This (and more) is all in webapp/indexing.xml in your eXist install tree.

Michael Beddow