problem with exist and tv anytime file

Sven Wontroba
Hello Experts

I'm having problems with the following files ... I was playing arround
with some tv-anytime formated date offered by the bbc backstage
project. Somehow I can't use them intern in exist.

the files or parts of them look like this.

may someone can give me a hint why they do not work. I do use winxp
and the eXist-snapshot-20050805.jar all other examples work without
any problem so I expect it's some problem with the formatting,...

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<ContentReferencingTable xmlns="http://www.tv-anytime.org/2002/02/ContentReferencing" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" version="1">
        <Result CRID="crid://bbc.co.uk/289388659" status="resolved" complete="true" acquire="any">
                <LocationsResult>
                        <Locator>dvb://233a.1004.113f;b873@2005-06-21T00:00:00Z/PT00H30M</Locator>
                </LocationsResult>
        </Result>
        <Result CRID="crid://bbc.co.uk/289383958" status="resolved" complete="true" acquire="any">
                <LocationsResult>
                        <Locator instanceMetadataId="imi:bbc.co.uk/1098955074">dvb://233a.4000.4180;b942@2005-06-21T00:00:00Z/PT00H30M</Locator>
                        <Locator instanceMetadataId="imi:bbc.co.uk/1098955078">dvb://233a.4000.4180;b946@2005-06-21T02:00:00Z/PT00H30M</Locator>
                        <Locator instanceMetadataId="imi:bbc.co.uk/289388689">dvb://233a.1004.113f;b891@2005-06-21T02:30:00Z/PT00H30M</Locator>
                </LocationsResult>
        </Result>
</ContentReferencingTable>

Thanks a lot in advance... also some hints where to search for a
solution will be appreciated. the console windows doesn't give any
errors in the log files, if I look a t the right ones don't include
anything

Thanks Sven

problem with exist and tv anytime file

Jakob Fix-2
Hello Sven,

On 22/10/05, Sven Wontroba <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello Experts
>
> I'm having problems with the following files ... I was playing arround
> with some tv-anytime formated date offered by the bbc backstage
> project. Somehow I can't use them intern in exist.

what do you want to do?  could you describe your problem in more
detail, please?  are the files valid/well-formed XML documents?  you
can check this, for example, using rxp.

--
cheers,
Jakob.

--
cheers,
Jakob.

Re: problem with exist and tv anytime file

Michael Beddow-2
As Jakob implies, there is nothing much we can do to help if all we are told
is that you are "having problems", that you "can't use" the files, and that
"they do not work in eXist".  The example document you posted is well
formed, it loads into eXist without error and can be retrieved and queried
successfully. So unless you give us more to go on, we are stuck.

For those who don't know it, the very interesting site you are getting the
material from is
http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/
The file you showed is fine, but I don't know what the general quality of
the BBCs RSS feeds is like. Their technical people are usually pretty good,
but there are some RSS practitioners in the wild who have an alarmingly lax
attitude to XML parsing and believe that standards should be bent to suit
their bad habits in the same way that html browsers have always ignored
massive validity errors in html. That's why many strict implementations of
W3C standards, such as eXist strives to be, have problems with some RSS
data.

Michael Beddow

Re[2]: problem with exist and tv anytime file

Sven Wontroba
Hello

sorry for the missing of additional information! Ok I was trying to do
some xqueries on the existing files. The BBC distribute the file for
example for news,... in three different files. I wanted to connect
them and filter them based on some elements in there.

I checked my file if it is well formed but still if I create a new
collection for example with the name bbc and in there import the
example file, I can not query them. for example if I just tipe a
//Result I do not get anything back a result. Whereas if I import an
other xml file I can query everything without a problem.

So that's why I was wondering if there is something wrong with the
file. Or with some of the characters they use. Well the file in
general might work, it might just be me with my version or specific
settings? I tried to to some simple xpath verification in IE to se if
I get any result and there wasn't any problem, It might just be some
things in the eXist-snapshot-20050805.jar version I use. I'll look how
to get the csv version. ;) something I never tried with sourceforge,
but it can't be that difficult ;)

Thanks for the quick answers

> As Jakob implies, there is nothing much we can do to help if all we are told
> is that you are "having problems", that you "can't use" the files, and that
> "they do not work in eXist".  The example document you posted is well
> formed, it loads into eXist without error and can be retrieved and queried
> successfully. So unless you give us more to go on, we are stuck.

> For those who don't know it, the very interesting site you are getting the
> material from is
> http://backstage.bbc.co.uk/
> The file you showed is fine, but I don't know what the general quality of
> the BBCs RSS feeds is like. Their technical people are usually pretty good,
> but there are some RSS practitioners in the wild who have an alarmingly lax
> attitude to XML parsing and believe that standards should be bent to suit
> their bad habits in the same way that html browsers have always ignored
> massive validity errors in html. That's why many strict implementations of
> W3C standards, such as eXist strives to be, have problems with some RSS
> data.

> Michael Beddow

Re: Re[2]: problem with exist and tv anytime file

Michael Beddow-2
> if I just tipe a //Result I do not get anything back a result.

An even quicker answer

Namespaces!

I won't say any more, because this is far from being an eXist-specific
question, and understanding namespaces is fundamental to anything beyond
elementary use of XML. And for manipulating RSS feeds, don't even think of
leaving home without them.

Happy Googling (though it pains me to admit that MSN search is getting
better all the time...)

Michael Beddow

Re[4]: problem with exist and tv anytime file

Sven Wontroba
Thanks for the quick answer I'll look into it.

I defined in an other file with html, mpeg, and smile elements all
tags with xxx:yy in my tags. I didn't thought about this this time and
don't want to changes everything.  I'll take a look at this to
understand it and no tap in there again. Well problems of a xml
beginner.

 Thanks a lot and a nice weekend Sven

>> if I just tipe a //Result I do not get anything
back a result.

> An even quicker answer

> Namespaces!

> I won't say any more, because this is far from being an eXist-specific
> question, and understanding namespaces is fundamental to anything beyond
> elementary use of XML. And for manipulating RSS feeds, don't even think of
> leaving home without them.

> Happy Googling (though it pains me to admit that MSN search is getting
> better all the time...)

> Michael Beddow

Re: Re[4]: problem with exist and tv anytime file

Michael Beddow-2
Ok, I'm sure you'll crack it. And you won't have to change any of your
documents, you just have to make a small preliminary addition to your
queries.

I deliberately didn't show you an example that would get a quick result
(though maybe other list members will do so) because there's a Big Problem
with namespaces for people who want to grasp XML.

Show a working example without a lot of additional explanation, and it's
bound to be seriously misleading, because under the wraps, namespaces just
don't work like they seem to on the surface.

But anyone who takes the  other approach of explaining first issues like:
The distinction between being in no namespace and in the default namespace
The namespace scoping of attributes  (which is entangled with the previous
point)
The arbitrary character of the prefix and the processor's sole reliance on
the id to which the prefix is bound
etc etc
and the understandable response is "stop yacking on about theory and show me
how to do it".

But one small pointer to focus your home-study reading...

Where a document has placed the element you want to query in a default
namespace, you need in your query to bind the *identifier* uri for that
namespace to a prefix of your choice (any legal string will do) and use that
prefix in your query. Or, there's XQuery syntax for declaring a default
namespace in an XQuery, but the declaration has to be there up front, and it
must bind to the same identifier as the targetted default namespace in the
document does. Where the document has placed the element you are targetting
in a prefixed namespace, you equally need to bind a prefix (yes "a" prefix,
any one you want that's legal, it doesn't need to be the same one used in
the document) to the identifier to which the prefix in the document is
bound. Look at the "mods" database in the eXist example materials to see
queries that  do this.

Michael Beddow

Re[6]: problem with exist and tv anytime file default namespace problem solved :)

Sven Wontroba

:)

jep it's working an I appreciate all your help. Well for me a
recommendation to search at a specific point and not just to show how
it works is perfect. Its more important to understand how it works as
to apply it as an example. Later on you profit, cause you are able to
apply it in other ways :) A while ago I was reading this and it also
relates somehow to this point of helping out other peoples on lists.

"I am a newbie, I have a problem, so you must help me!"
http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2005/9/25/104320/439 not exist related
but linux - something a also have to learn more about. (There is so
much to learn every day :)

I was searching for default name space declaration also when I had the
problem with my other file. Well I couldn't find much about default
namespaces withing exist just point 3. in [1] and following has some
information about namespaces

Well, I changed everything in my own file the xx:yy way including the
namespaces defined at the top well with files from others this might
not work all times but this is solved now :)

I'll change the subject in case someone is searching the mail archive
about default namespace problems.

Thanks a lot again and a nice weekend

Sven

[1] http://exist.sourceforge.net/xquery.html