puzzled by the dom.dbx

chen_jing
Hello

I'm reading the book<eXist: An Open Source Native XML Database>. I can't understand the figure 3:XML Data Store Organization in the document.It's said that only the top-level elements are indexed by the B+-tree. Is that mean for a document only one element--the toppest element will be indexed in the B+-tree?

        Chenjing
        [hidden email]
          2005-10-17

Re: puzzled by the dom.dbx

wolfgangmm
> I'm reading the book<eXist: An Open Source Native XML Database>. I can't understand the figure 3:XML Data Store Organization in the document.It's said that only the top-level elements are indexed by the B+-tree. Is that mean for a document only one element--the toppest element will be indexed in the B+-tree?

This is configured by the "index-depth" setting in conf.xml.
index-depth=1 means all elements on the first level below the root
node will be added to the dom.dbx index. eXist rarely uses this index
for queries, but it is needed for some update operations. Usually,
increasing the level doesn't make much difference.